Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best 'standard' athletic barefoot shoe page

geekgrrl is offline Senior Member

Best 'standard' athletic barefoot shoe

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Around here the tracks are very rough so the foot needs a bit of protection. Any suggestions for a standard athletic type shoe (or outdoors brand shoe) that will be light and flexible for the most natural foot movement without actually going for vibrams?

(plus the one pocket for each toe thing I think won't work for my narrow feet).

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I'd wait 3 months--lots of mainstream companies (eg New Balance, Merrell) are coming out with minimalist shoes this spring. Not only will you have more options, but I would bet some of the existing shoes will come down in price.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Do you have to deal with mud? If so, Inov-8 is coming out with the Baregrip 200 this spring. Zero drop, no cushion at all, awesome cleats, but it runs narrow. Merrell is already shipping the Trail Glove, which has some tread and has roughly as much sole and drop(none) as the KSO Trek. NB Minimus will have a heel-toe drop and twice as much heel cushion as the Merrells. They are rumored to be coming out with a zero drop shoe in the fall. Terra Plana has the Evo and Neo now, with the Ultra and Achilles coming, but they don't have much tread on them. They are rumored to be working on a trail shoe also. Altra will be shipping the Adam in April, but it doesn't have much in the way of tread. That's all that comes to mind, but I'm sure I missed something. This spring will be fun for minimalists.

Gordo

New Renaissance is offline Senior Member
    I have the New Balance 100, and the follow up is the New Balance 101. I have the same issues. I hate running on the paved road, so i run on gravel track and levees. They are my favorite so far. I am pretty excited about the minimus as well.

I also run in chuck taylors when i throw on a weight vest. Old School Flats.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I’m partial so swimming shoes, the kind you wear to the beach or the pool. Very light weight, minimal protection (especially if you remove the insole) you will feel the ground but the rubber will keep your feet protected.

I’ve been out of a pair for a few months and I can’t find them anywhere since it’s winter, but for under 10 bucks, it’s the best minimal shoe out there.

Just a suggestion...

Quote Originally Posted by New Renaissance View Post
    I have the New Balance 100, and the follow up is the New Balance 101. I have the same issues. I hate running on the paved road, so i run on gravel track and levees. They are my favorite so far. I am pretty excited about the minimus as well.
    You'll probably like the Minimus then. It's way too much shoe for anyone who likes VFFs.

Gordo

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    The Merrill barefoot shoes are now available for purchase online... got an email from them today...

New Renaissance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gordo View Post
    You'll probably like the Minimus then. It's way too much shoe for anyone who likes VFFs.

Gordo

Sweet! I'm looking forward to them. I haven't justified buying the Vibrams to myself yet. I live in warm climates and generally spend most of the time barefoot or in flipflops, so if I want to run barefoot, I just do. I just need more protection from the gravel. I know there are some form tweaks I need to make before running with Vibrams on gravel.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    pre-release reviews of the merrell trail glove are outstanding. Lots of info hit the Merrell web sites today.

Quote Originally Posted by New Renaissance View Post
    I know there are some form tweaks I need to make before running with Vibrams on gravel.
    Actually, all you need to do is to go run barefoot on gravel. Your form will lighten up right away. I'm totally serious. I run gravel bike paths and rocky trails all the time completely barefoot. Do it properly and VFFs are unnecessary. In fact, they get in the way of learning. It wasn't until I ditched them that I started making real progress. I'm only drooling over the Merrells because I have several months of cold and snow to deal with.

Gordo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast