Thread: What Probiotic brand do you take? page

echoyjeff222 is offline Senior Member

What Probiotic brand do you take?

Primal Fuel
    I'm just wondering for some suggestions for some probiotics that are decently affordable. I was also wondering about Acidophilus Pearls by Enzymatic. We just purchased them and hopefully they work well ... has anyone tried them before? They're really cheap - like 15 bucks for 90 tablets.
    feel free to take a look at my journal!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!

liss is offline Senior Member
    the dry wheat-infested side of washington state
    The Acidophilus Pearls look like they're a combination of just two bacterial strains. You could certainly try the pearls and see if they work well for you, but I suspect a larger variety of strains would serve you (and most people) a bit better.

BioKult comes highly recommended though it's a bit pricey. It does seem to work better for me than other probiotic blends, but I can't claim my experience meets blinded standards. Especially with stuff like this placebo effect could come into play.

Faumdano is offline Member
    Why not just work things like kimchi, sauerkraut, natto, cheese, yoghurt, Japanese pickles (nukazuke), etc into your diet instead of relying on a pill? I realize you're asking for brands, but it's probably better to focus on eating food IMO.

paleo_rob is offline Senior Member
    Agree with Faumdano.
    Sauerkraut et. al is a much more broad spectrum probiotic than any commercial supplement!

Keithallenlaw is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Faumdano View Post
    Why not just work things like kimchi, sauerkraut, natto, cheese, yoghurt, Japanese pickles (nukazuke), etc into your diet instead of relying on a pill? I realize you're asking for brands, but it's probably better to focus on eating food IMO.
    EXACTLY! I agree.

I'm going to have to dig up the study I was reading last year about these pro-biotic capsules and pills
    not doing what they claim. It was a Russian medical science team that says you cant plant these sensitive
    organisms though the upper gi track. The only good results these experiments where getting was to have
    these pro-biotics injected rectally into the colon. And they must be fed primally sweet whey orally to set
    up an idea environment to flourish. I believe the book is called "Colon Health" that explains this. The next
    best thing is getting a diet high in fermented foods. Research and don't waste money on supplements
    that simply do not work.

Kasey is offline Member
    I like the company 'Megafood' because they make whole food supplements. They have a kids version of probiotic that may be a little less potent (still like 5 billion cells), still very high quality, and cheaper than their regular version.

I agree it's best to eat fermented foods, but why not get the best of both worlds and make fermented foods with a couple of probiotic caps to boost it a little? That's what I do ; )

http://www.iherb.com/MegaFood-DailyF...les/16640?at=0 That's the kind I bought. They were cheaper in the store, like $13, but I live in Toronto.

liss is offline Senior Member
    the dry wheat-infested side of washington state
    I definitely support people eating fermented foods. It's a great option, but I believe supplements can help those who can't eat sauerkraut, yogurt, kimchi and the like.

I should have mentioned that I take my probiotics at the same time I'm eating raw veggies or fruit. Taking them without something they can cling to and live on would be, I suspect, fairly useless. And I have no doubt a great number of the bacteria don't survive the journey deep into the GI tract. Nurturing proper gut flora also requires that you avoid antibiotics and perhaps even take measures to avoid the chlorine in tap water. Eating paleo/primal can only help.

Establishing good gut flora is a long, tedious process for some people. It has been for me. Goodness knows I am not yet there by a long shot.

echoyjeff222 is offline Senior Member
    We're actually making kefir at home ... the thing is, I think it's causing me to break out a bit ... I thought it was supposed to help with acne, but I think it might be aggravating it (the dairy?) - anyhow, I'm not positive about it though.
    feel free to take a look at my journal!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!