Thread: Primal and taking Insulin page

TorMag is offline Senior Member

Primal and taking Insulin

Shop Now
    I have a question I need help with.... I am new to this whole lifestyle. I am a TII diabetic and I take 50 Units of insulin daily besides all the other meds. I have been doing alot of research on eating Paleo/Primal. From what I have read, it says you do not want higher levels of Insulin. I guess I am looking for some guidance.

Thanks

Gathwh is offline Senior Member
    The higher insulin stuff is for us who have food produced insulin responses. You don't. You should take insulin. You will likely need less due to the lower carb nature of primal, but ASK A DOCTOR! Tell them you will lower the amount of carbs, particularly simple, that you will be eating. Insulin is dangerous, I wouldn't advise playing around with it, you should probably take it as directed. Better, you could get a blood glucose monitor and use it after meals to check if your insulin is lowering blood glucose appropriately and adjust it VERY SLOWLY to the change in diet. Someone else will probably have a better answer, but proceed with caution.

Sorry, I realize that reading what I wrote aloud makes it sound like I'm yelling, but seriously, if you stop taking insulin it can be pretty dangerous.
    Last edited by Gathwh; 01-31-2011 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Poor word choice

Kelda is offline Senior Member
    As I understand Type II you produce inadequate insulin to deal with the carbs in your diet so you top it up. I also assume you have become type II over time. Eating this way will reduce your requirement for insulin as you will be processing a lot less carbohydrate depending on how much you are eatiing now of course.

My guess would be that you will need to use less, but you'll need to check that out by blood testing (which I would assume you would do anyway now?). If you use too much insulin you will run the risk of a hypo (which I'm sure you know), so you certainly need to be cautious as you start the PB. Lots of people here find they no longer require insulin and consider they have reversed their Type II status now they eat low carb.

Hope that helps.
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    Thank you both it does help. Yes I do test my blood sugars and no, I would never stop taking the insulin until the doc tells me to.