Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the concensus on flax? page

HonuRacer is offline Senior Member

What's the concensus on flax?

I like roasted (toasted?) flax seeds. Are they ok on PB?

FlyNavy is offline Member
    Why wouldn't they be? They have a ton of Omega 3s in them.

Acteon is offline Senior Member
    The heat may do something to the oil. I prefer Chia Seeds and Perilla Seeds for my Omega 3's. I know that Perilla Seeds have a better Omega 3 to Omega 6 ratio then Flax and have been consumed (in Asia) for far longer than Flax. Chia Seeds have an added bonus that it will provide you with good energy if you need to make some physical effort and if taken before bed it can help you sleep.

I read that if your Flax seeds aren't grounded up, they will simply pass through your system undigested. To release the Omega 3 oils, you must grind them. It isn't a good idea to purchase them pre-grounded as the oil becomes rancid quickly once grounded up.

Once I'm done with my batch of Flax, I'll probably stick to Perilla and Chia exclusively.

liss is offline Senior Member
    the dry wheat-infested side of washington state
    Flax seeds have more phytoestrogens than soy. The O3 in them is short-chained, fragile and readily oxidizes in your blood without giving you the benefits that the longer chains (DHA and EPA) offer. There is a link to prostate cancer in men.

I think it's yucky stuff. I suspect it is very much like soy--a food that's bad for you, but heavily promoted as healthful. I acknowledge that others have different views.

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    I'd lump it in with soy as well, it's pretty much a fake health food. While omega 3's have been shown to have numerous healthy effects in the human body it is not all omega 3's that do so. The high amounts of omega 3's in flax seed is alpha-Linolenic acid (ALA), while it is technically an essential fatty acid you're never at a deficiency for it. ALA does NOT share the studied health benefits of the other (meat based) omega 3's and in excessive doses can actually cause heart problems.
    "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
    -J.Stanton

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

Too bad. The toasted kind taste pretty good, but if they're this bad, adios.

Chia seeds - not the kind you put on your Chia Pet?

geekgrrl is offline Senior Member
    it depends on your level of commitment - if you're using your 20% on a generous setting, then an occasional smattering of them is probably as acceptable as any other 'cheat' food - but they aren't a primal staple and certainly not optimal. I think they had originally been seen as a 'good thing' but Mark revised is views in light of some recent research.

janagram is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    yes chia is the seed on chia pets! I like it! gotta look up perilla seeds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast