Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Poor Results with a Primal Diet? page

ani
    ani is offline Senior Member

Question Poor Results with a Primal Diet?

Shop Now
    I just finished a 30day primal challenge, eating lots of meats (mostly beef, pork and salmon), veggies (kale, lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, onions, squash), fats (coconut, avocado), nuts and seeds, and some fruit. I'd been eating primal for the past 6 months with some exceptions but I wanted to really go primal all the way and see what kind of results I would get.
    Towards the end of the challenge I started feeling bloated, sick, and couldn't bear the thought of eating meat or eggs. I mostly relied on almonds for calories/ proteins at the end. I also gained weight (4lbs) but I'm not too concerned since my clothes still fit, and I've been working out.
    I'm going to reduce my fat and meat intakes and maybe add back in some properly prepared (Nourishing Traditions way) grains and raw goat's milk, (I know it sounds very CW-ish, I'm just at a bit of a loss for what to eat that will make me feel good again).
    I know that everyone is different and needs different foods in their diets, I'm on my path to discovering what foods work for me. Mostly I'm just curious if anyone else has felt sick on a primal diet?

jspradley is offline Senior Member
    I didn't start burning off weight for maybe 2 months but I felt 10x from the get go. I've been shedding my fat ass lately and feel even better now, it did take a while to really kick in though.

Did your weight gain come in the form of fat or muscle?

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Are you sure you aren't pregnant?

Lots of folks go through "carb flu" and feel worse their first few weeks (occasionally months) on Primal. Not usually the symptoms you describe, though.

After 3 months Primal, I have never felt better and wouldn't touch gluten grains with a 10 foot pole, now that my gut has healed (speaking as a former WAP-er!)

If you want some support to stay Primal, more info would be helpful:
    How long have you been Primal?
    Were you eating grass-fed, pastured and free-range meat?
    What exactly did you eat? A few days' food diary would be good to see.
    Any other changes in your life?

MadBiker is offline Junior Member
    Pregnant might be my first guess too; with each of my pregnancies, meat was the first food by which I was sickened, followed closely by eggs, which smelled like burnt hair to me. Plus the bloating, queasiness, etc.

I agree with Dragonfly, let's see a food log for about a 3-5 day period. The bloating could also be coming from eating lots of nuts, they have a tendency to make me feel puffy if I eat them in too-large quantities.

b4ds33d is offline Member
    i think you have to tailor the diet to suit your needs. i got results immediately, but i assume not everyone will be that lucky.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    I don't think very many people that follow Mark's guidelines feel sick. It sounds like you might have issues digesting meat, in which case it might be worth looking into digestive support aka http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Super...sules/857?at=0
    Depending on your goals you can probably get by without eating meat/eggs at every meal. If you only eat meat once a day it might be more palatable.
    I don't believe adding in grains of any sort (even soaked/sprouted) is going to have any benefits. It it still a high calorie/low nutrient food with residual gut-irritatants. Raw goat's milk is allowed on a primal diet, and most likely very beneficial.

"Everyone is different..." isn't really true people have varying tolerances to certain things, but the baseline needs for everyone are meat and vegetables (aswell as for all traditional cultues). If you do add grains to your diet, at least avoid wheat, and try to keep your consumption as minimal as possible lol.

spughy is offline Senior Member
    You might need extra probiotics. I found my insides objected to removing dairy from my diet - but then I remembered that a good portion of my dairy was yogurt and kefir, and the poor wee beasties therein might not thrive on a meat & veg diet. Once I started taking a diverse probiotic, things evened out again.

But you also could be pregnant.

Diedelser is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ani View Post
    I just finished a 30day primal challenge, eating lots of meats (mostly beef, pork and salmon), veggies (kale, lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, onions, squash), fats (coconut, avocado), nuts and seeds, and some fruit. I'd been eating primal for the past 6 months with some exceptions but I wanted to really go primal all the way and see what kind of results I would get.
    Towards the end of the challenge I started feeling bloated, sick, and couldn't bear the thought of eating meat or eggs. I mostly relied on almonds for calories/ proteins at the end. I also gained weight (4lbs) but I'm not too concerned since my clothes still fit, and I've been working out.
    I'm going to reduce my fat and meat intakes and maybe add back in some properly prepared (Nourishing Traditions way) grains and raw goat's milk, (I know it sounds very CW-ish, I'm just at a bit of a loss for what to eat that will make me feel good again).
    I know that everyone is different and needs different foods in their diets, I'm on my path to discovering what foods work for me. Mostly I'm just curious if anyone else has felt sick on a primal diet?
    What nuts, seeds and fruits? There is a lot of variety and not all of those are good for your gut and heal.

Too much nuts means too much omega 6 that means bad omega 6:3 ratio and that translate to bad health in the long run. Also is very easy to overdose with nuts so no wonder why you ended gaining weigth.

My own experience teached me to stay away from nuts and now I only eat then when is offered from someone I care, that translate to very rarely and on season.
    I learned this after having weigth loss plateaus and feeling bloated so I did my own research that summarizes in: Too much Nuts = Digestive Issues.
    Rephrasing the famous Socrates quote: "All I know is that I know nothing" and about that fact, I am still not so sure.

Greetings! from Jorge from Venezuela.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Maybe your body was just saying that you'd eaten more than enough? I'm not usually one to suggest IFing but maybe that would be better than either forcing primal food down or turning to nuts instead. Allow yourself to get hungry enough that primal food sounds appetizing.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

ani
    ani is offline Senior Member
    Definitely not pregnant, I'm 17. Thanks for all the suggestions, I've been primal on and off for the past 6-7 months (last June), and I was just surprised at how ill I've been feeling. Although I'm pretty certain my weight gain is mostly (i hope) from muscle since I started working out more. I took digestive enzymes with every meal. As for fruit and nuts, a lot of almonds, some pecans and walnuts. Fruits, apples, berries, cherries and bananas (usually just a half of one). I think it may have been too much pork and red meat (beef, grassfed about 1/2 the time, I always got grassfed but my dad buys regular). So I'm going to focus on getting a lot more protein from chicken, tuna, salmon. I believe in meat and veggies too, which is why I was surprised that I felt so awful eating mostly meat and veggies. I'm very allergic to gluten and don't plan on having it ever. Rice and oats are what I'll probably add in. Bloating could be from the nuts, especially since the less meat I ate, the more nuts I ate. I guess I'll reduce them, and not replenish my slowly dwindling supply of almond butter.
    A couple of days:
    Day 1:
    coconut milk and coffee
    eggs, sausage, cauliflower, collards,
    salad (spinach, tomato, walnuts, cucumber, avocado, olives, peppers, and olive oil dressing)
    omelet (eggs, turkey, green chile, onions, cauliflower)
    Creamed coconut, with small amt. (2TBs?) Nola (coconut, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds)
    roasted butternut squash
    Day 2:
    eggs, spinach, peppers, salsa
    Nola, coconut milk, pecans
    apple and almond butter
    riceless sushi (cauliflower, nori, cucumber, peppers, carrot, wasabi, tamari, ginger)
    salmon
    cherries, banana (1/2), cacao nibs
    Day 3:
    sausage
    Pear, blackberries, nola, pecan milk
    1 bite of kiwi
    almond butter (3-4 tb, I don't measure)
    salad greens, hardboiled egg, broccoli w/ Son of groks BBQ sauce
    Day 4 (since I realized I unintentionally put up days where I didn't eat much meat):
    eggs, pork, kale, onion
    pecans
    coconut milk, strawberries, lime juice
    salmon cakes, lettuce, cucumber, avocado, sesame dressing
    pecans and almonds
    pork, kale, onions,
    butternut squash, coconut milk

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast