Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Poor Results with a Primal Diet? page 2

Bodhi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    How much coconut milk are you having at one time. Coconut milk bloats me out if I have more than a 6oz serving.
    ...how do you look, feel, and perform? -- Robb Wolf

My Blog.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Sausage can make me ill. Bacon is much easier for me to digest, if I am going to have pork.

ani
    ani is offline Senior Member
    Coconut milk: it depends, the most I've ever had at once is 3/4 of a cup (I made a "latte" with it), and it kept me full for ages. usually I use just a splash, and if its on fruit or Nola I water it down since its pretty thick for my tastes. My sausage was usually turkey...

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ani View Post
    I'm very allergic to gluten and don't plan on having it ever. Rice and oats are what I'll probably add in.
    Two things.

1) Have you ever eaten this many eggs before? They're a common allergy in the gluten-intolerant, especially when they first stop eating gluten. How long ago did you stop eating gluten?

2) Lots of people who are gluten-intolerant react to oatmeal, even the type that is specifically tested as being gluten-free. You might stick to white rice for a bit, then test it out if you're determined to go that route.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    I agree on the oats. I react to gluten free oats and corn with gluten-type symptoms. Approach with caution.

I am wondering if you just overdid the meat. I sometimes want a lot of meat and then get to where I feel a bit icky about it and eat less for a while. How about adding in some chicken (with skin)? I love steak but sometimes I just feel "beefed out".
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twibble View Post
    Two things.

1) Have you ever eaten this many eggs before? They're a common allergy in the gluten-intolerant, especially when they first stop eating gluten. How long ago did you stop eating gluten?

2) Lots of people who are gluten-intolerant react to oatmeal, even the type that is specifically tested as being gluten-free. You might stick to white rice for a bit, then test it out if you're determined to go that route.
    +1000 If you have a gluten intolerance, and gut irritation from that, eggs, which are high in lectins and one of the most common allergenic foods out there, are not a good choice. Ditto nuts.
    When I first ate low carb, I felt great, but I started feeling nauseated and bloated and the thought of meat...ugh. It was an egg allergy. I was eating eggs every day for the first time in my life, and it was just too much.
    Try a few weeks w/o them, and see how you feel.
    And of course, if your nausea persists, see a doctor!

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    coconut doesnt agree with everyone, you may try phasing it out and see how you respond(butter is amazing!)

also, youre 17.... do you need to lose weight or need to be focused on it? a very serious question you should ask yourself. primal will give you good health and nutrition and your body is a byproduct of that. at your age, you still have a lot of female hormone changing and maturing to do.

also, i notice when you eat eggs, you eat veggies, like kale...haha if i did that i would definitely feel sick and uneasy. i do best with eggs if they are free range(i literally cant eat storebought eggs) and as a snack or meal on their own with fat, not fiber.

ani
    ani is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twibble View Post
    Two things.

I've always eaten eggs in varying amounts, I haven't had any issues with them in the past (except for eating 8-12 in a day for a stupid diet thing, but i think it was more a volume/fat thing than an egg intolerance) I stopped eating gluten about 7 months ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by MalPaz View Post
    also, youre 17.... do you need to lose weight or need to be focused on it? a very serious question you should ask yourself. primal will give you good health and nutrition and your body is a byproduct of that. at your age, you still have a lot of female hormone changing and maturing to do.
    I would like to eventually lose weight (not much, 10lbs maybe...) but I don't really care too much at the moment. I prefer to focus on health and feeling good for now. I'm more interested in seeing how my body reacts to different foods and diets and then going from there.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Like others have mentioned, both nuts and coconut milk can make me feel bloated (although I love coconut milk and still eat quite a bit of it.) Nuts I feel best eating 1/4 cup or less a day. (I WILL gain weight if I eat any more than that.) Eggs make me nauseous. And that happened after going primal and WAY overdoing it with them.

Wanted to add that I disagree w/ the pp who mentioned we are not all different. The minor differences which are unique to each of us are complex and complicated enough to matter a great deal IMO. I agree that meat is probably a great staple for most folks, and the basis of many traditional cultures diets, BUT with food intolerances and gut issues and all the messed up aspects thrown in from folks eating lifetimes of CW bs and having generational nutrient deficiencies, figuring out what *works best for you* is a pretty individual (and important) thing. Some primals thrive eating lots of dairy and nightshades (not me!) Some must avoid all fruit and nuts (not me). Some feel best super low carb, others feel good much higher carb. Some love covering their plates with veggies and small amounts of meat while others do the opposite. I find my needs change over time as I continue to grow and learn and heal while eating in this manner. Figuring out what foods make me feel best is quite personal and a process of experimentation that is constant (in a gradual manner.)

Anyway, good luck figuring out what feels best *to you*!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

grokka is offline Senior Member
    If I ate that many nuts and that little meat... Uh, yeah, not good.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast