Thread: Moderate carbohydrate intake coupled with a high sat fat intake dangerous?? page

confused_monkey is offline Senior Member

Moderate carbohydrate intake coupled with a high sat fat intake dangerous??

Primal Fuel
    I recently realized that my activities were exceeding my carb consumption and I need to increase carbs to continue to enjoy exercising without losing too much weight. I plan to follow a 3000 calorie diet composed of 216 grams of fat, 112 grams of protein, and 150 grams of carbohydrates, which are the Perfect Health Diet ratios of 65-15-20.

Now my question, is there any danger in eating a high quantity of starch alongside a high quantity of sat. & monounsat fat? My proposed diet will supply me with 150 grams of carbs coupled with 216 grams of fat. Will the combination of a high fat intake and execess carbs be a disastrous combination, keeping in mind that my long term goals are not weightloss, but sustained athletic performance and long term health.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    This is not a high percentage of carbs for the calories you are consuming. You are using the carbs as fuel for exercise--which is the best use of them, IMO.

Dr. Kurt Harris speculates that humans are designed to do well in a range of 0%-30% carbs. See how you feel, how your body reacts to these ratios and adjust accordingly.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i don't think they'll be any trouble for you, as you'll be burning through those carbs for fuel. i think the danger comes when less active than you people are eating a lot of carbs, which their body uses as fuel, and the leftover fat is stored for energy later.

how much activity are you doing, and what kind?

muaythaimike is offline Senior Member
    The Kitavans eat a high carb diet and their main fat source is saturated fat and they don't have any issues. I wouldn't worry, especially you are exercising and even if they were stored it would most likely be as glycogen in your muscles and liver.
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muaythaimike View Post
    The Kitavans eat a high carb diet and their main fat source is saturated fat and they don't have any issues. I wouldn't worry, especially you are exercising and even if they were stored it would most likely be as glycogen in your muscles and liver.
    Um--we don't know if the Kitavans have any issues--they haven't been sufficiently for us to know for sure. Read this.

Nice, its comforting to know I won't do any damage. I do heavy weightlifting and lots of sprinting (I play soccer almost daily) but I was beginning to lose a lot of weight and was feeling like shit most of the time. I followed a low carb, less than 50grams and a high fat, 300 grams, diet daily for about 5 months, and although I thrived on it for the first couple months, my performance slowly began to deteriorate to the point where I could not make my legs move fast no matter how hard I tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Um--we don't know if the Kitavans have any issues--they haven't been sufficiently for us to know for sure. Read this.
    "Fine is not better. Tolerated is not optimal."

I like that quote, and will be sure to keep it in mind.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by confused_monkey View Post
    Nice, its comforting to know I won't do any damage. I do heavy weightlifting and lots of sprinting (I play soccer almost daily) but I was beginning to lose a lot of weight and was feeling like shit most of the time. I followed a low carb, less than 50grams and a high fat, 300 grams, diet daily for about 5 months, and although I thrived on it for the first couple months, my performance slowly began to deteriorate to the point where I could not make my legs move fast no matter how hard I tried.
    soccer can be brutal. if i were still playing i would definitely become better friends with some sweet potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    This is not a high percentage of carbs for the calories you are consuming. You are using the carbs as fuel for exercise--which is the best use of them, IMO.

Dr. Kurt Harris speculates that humans are designed to do well in a range of 0%-30% carbs. See how you feel, how your body reacts to these ratios and adjust accordingly.
    This also got me thinking as to what is more important. The percentage of a certain macronutrient as a whole or the amount in grams consumed. Obviously someone eating 60% fat from a 2000 calorie diet will average less than someone consuming about 60% from a 4000 calorie diet.