Thread: craving fats page

denise is offline Senior Member

craving fats

Primal Fuel
    ok, just to put this is context, I am on day 10 of my whole30. I have been "fully Primal" since the beginning of December. So, currently no dairy.

I have found I have NO sugar/carb cravings (a miracle in itself), but today I have been smacked by fat cravings of all things. If I was eating dairy i swear I'd have either hit the cheese hard or bitten into a stick of butter!!

I have consumed about half a can of coconut milk and its dulled the craving for sure. But my question is this.

Are fat cravings the same as sugar cravings??

In other words, am I just craving something and need to resist (as I would any sugar/carb craving that hit me) - or do I actually NEED the fats and should eat them?

I have been eating fatty meats, adding oil to salads etc etc so I do think I've been hitting the amount I need to eat/fat precentage etc etc (which I don't "measure" as I can get far too caught up in numbers and start obsessing about irrelevant details).

Is this just me missing dairy - which I did for sure for the first few days but its died down recently?

I'm sure forum members will have answers for me. I am still a newbie at this really.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Fat is your energy source, so maybe you are craving fat because you need more energy.

denise is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
    Fat is your energy source, so maybe you are craving fat because you need more energy.
    As I want to lose body fat though, do I NOT eat it and so my body will burn my own fat stores? Or is that so much biochemical tosh??

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, you want to eat fat. Eating fat does not make you store fat. If you want to burn body fat, eat low-carb and avoid excessive vigorous exercise so that your body burns fat instead of glycogen.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Fat is your friend . . . and not all cravings are evil . . . sometimes your body is just telling you what it needs.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by denise View Post
    As I want to lose body fat though, do I NOT eat it and so my body will burn my own fat stores? Or is that so much biochemical tosh??
    Yes, it's tosh. If you eat carbohydrates instead, your body converts them to fat, produces insulin along the way, and makes you hungrier than you can stand. Then the cycle repeats. You either blow up like a blimp or spend your day in misery. Eat a lot of fat, and your appetite is easy to control. If you get really hungry eating low-carb, you need calories, so eat, guilt-free. I shoot for 65% of my calories from fat and really only worry about undershooting my goal.

Gordo