Thread: Omega 3 - switch? page

echoyjeff222 is offline Senior Member

Omega 3 - switch?

I've been taking omega 3 for awhile from Carlson, and I was just wondering about the difference between fish oil and cod liver oil. I heard that cod liver oil has some vitamins in it that fish oil doesn't ... if so, should I switch? Are there even better sources of omega 3's?

By the way, I already have salmon quite often, like once-twice a week. How much salmon each day would equal, let's say, one gram of DHA and EPA?
    feel free to take a look at my journal!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!

slacker is offline Senior Member
    Google the fat breakdown for your salmon. I think you would be talking about eight ounces cooked, but that is a WAG, not even a SWAG.

My opinion is that you want to avoid cod liver oil, or any fish liver oil, because the form of vitamin A in them is retinol, which blocks your body's use of vitamin D. You want the beta carotene form of A, never retinol. Note that that includes all the skin treatments based on retinol. They defeat vitamin D.

Mark has posts about fish oil. Look in his prior posts and archives. You can also find opinions on fish oil at The Heart Scan Blog and the PaNu blog. Heart Scan is pro fish oil and PaNu is anti. Read them to see why.

Get some cream for your K2, while you are at it.

Good luck!

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I,too, take Carlson's fish oil capsules and am very satisfied. My understanding is that you don't want cod liver oil because it's too easy to get an excess of Vit. A.

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    I take 2ml of fermented cod liver oil per day for vitamins A and D. It also has about 0.5g Omega-3 fatty acids, but I mostly try to limit my Omega-6 fatty acids and don't make a point of taking supplemental Omega-3 because large doses of Omega-3 still don't protect you from excess PUFA in your diet. I cook entirely with animal fat (I tend to be able to get it cheaper than coconut oil), and use olive oil, nuts, and avocados sparingly as treats, in order to make saturated fat the primary focus of my diet. According to the Weston A. Price Foundation, excess retinol is not a problem if the ratio of retinol to vitamin D is correct. On days when I eat liver, I skip the cod liver oil.

And, in response to the original poster's question, I put salmon into CRON-o-meter. The tool does not differentiate between DHA and EPA, but 110g of canned red salmon with bones removed (about half a can) has 1.4g of Omega-3 fats. 110g of canned pink salmon, with the bones and skin, has 1.3g Omega-3 fats, plus about 500 IU of vitamin D and 300mg of calcium. And 100g of raw sockeye salmon (about 3.5oz, or half a large portion) has 1.3g Omega-3 fats and 700 IU of D. I eat canned salmon most days for lunch (half a can per day) and have a fish dinner once per week. That in addition to my cod liver oil in the morning, gives me, on average, 2.5g Omega-3 fats per day.

Acteon is offline Senior Member
    To spare the wear and tear on my teeth from eating nuts, I put them in my soups. The hot liquid softens up the nut.

But basically: Cod Liver Oil: For Vitamin D deficiency in winter. (It also contains Vitamin A which is toxic in large quantities)
    Omega 3' oil is something else.

echoyjeff222 is offline Senior Member
    okay, i just searched up puritan's pride ... is it too good to be true?! all of these are like SO cheap!

http://www.puritan.com/fish-oils-056?Page=3&sortOrder=2

plus everything else is like buy 1 get one free?!
    feel free to take a look at my journal!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!

grokka is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Read the perfect health diet and panus stance on fish oil. Also the healthy skeptic. I might rethink it.