Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carnivore's Dilemma page

brahnamin is offline Senior Member

Carnivore's Dilemma

Shop Now
    My question is this: What vitamins and minerals are not well covered by meat alone?

I eat beef, poultry, lamb (when I can afford it), pork, fish (mostly cod, sometimes smoked salmon), and shellfish (mostly shrimp, scallops, and occasionally Alaskan snow crab). I generally do not eat organ meat (it's just a taste issue).

I also eat a fair amount of eggs and nuts (primarily macadamias, cashews, and pistachios, and occasionally almonds - all without added oils).

I tend to use real butter and coconut oil for most of my cooking. I rarely use olive oil with meats.

I'm not necessarily a stranger to low carb eating (I'm one of those rare people who doesn't get Low Carb Flu) but in the past I've always been fairly generous with the veggies.

This time around I'm using them very sparingly but I find I am woefully ignorant of what I might be missing and what I'm actually getting from the meats, eggs, and nuts I eat.

I'm not against doing my own research, either, it's just this time I don't know where to start.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I believe it's only vitamin C... so far is said in Good Calories, Bad Calories and even then he suggests that might not be an issue either.

Even if one is not partaking of the organ meat?

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    Do a search for what vitamins/minerals are in liver, those are the ones that are normally a lot lower in just steaks. It took me about 2 months of a lot of liver to start getting used to the taste but really most of the time it's just a matter of getting your body used to the new exposure and let it become associated with the increased nutrition from organ meats.
    "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
    -J.Stanton

Suzan is offline Senior Member
    If you are eating meat alone, why not plug your info into fitday.com and see what the nutrition numbers look like? I've been doing PB under 50 carbs, and so far, the only "deficiency" in my diet is calcium. (But I eat veg and fruit)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member
    Raw animal products DO contain some small amounts of vitamin C, but it's lost in cooking/pasturizing.

Liver (again) contains the most. Raw milk contains a fair amount as well...IIRC the exact amounts are dependant upon the diet the cow receives (IOW spring/summer will differ from late summer/fall/early winter months unless in temperate, irrigate climates with fresh grass available year round.)

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    From what I gather from GCBC, eating a diet very low in carbs also reduces your need for certain vitamins, like C.

muaythaimike is offline Senior Member
    Potassium would probably be pretty hard to get.
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

Hrm . . . I'm just going to have to break down and plow through GCBC again, aren't I? Don't get me wrong, I'm down with the science, but the writing is atrocious.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast