Thread: My mom will never, ever, ever understand what a carb is.... page

Phere is offline Junior Member

My mom will never, ever, ever understand what a carb is....

Shop Now
    I've told her for some time I'm watching my carbs. Last night she invited me over for dinner: chicken burritos wrapped in giant flower tortillas, beef tacos fried in corn tortillas, refried beans, corn, and a glass of coke (I never drink soda anyway so this really confused me). Oy vey. I thought carbs were a pretty intuitive thing...anything grainy, bready, starchy, sweet. I ate what I could without offending her as she was in a lot of pain and this was a big effort for her Not sure how to 'splain it to her any more.
    "What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Aw, dealing with family is so hard!

Why don't you bring a dish, a nice big salad, or roasted veg tossed in lots of healthy fat? Or better yet, tell your Mom you want to give her a break in the kitchen and you'll do the cooking!?

If that isn't an option, I'd just eat what you can and try not to stress about it.
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    no, people get seriously confused because they think either carbs means only those things, or that it includes everything that includes carbs (which is all veggies, fruits, etc), and they think you only eat meat or whatever. to be truthful, carbs simply means carbs (all of those things and everything that includes carbs).

so, i am specific: i no longer consume grains, pulses, or legumes. i consume nuts in limited quantities, and eat as many vegetables low-carb as i want, which excludes starchy ones such as potatoes, squash, etc.

after that, it's fairly simple. people generally understand what you mean.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Print off Grizz' list. Who knows she might start following it for herself?

I wish she would learn. She is a heavy smoker and just eats horribly (when she isn't too sick to eat) and has some serious health issues (surprisingly probably not diet related at this point). I have had this conversation with her many times, but she is just stuck with the "it's not a complete meal if there's not bread or potatoes" thing. Zoe, I wouldn't even mind if she gave me carby veggies, it's a hell of a lot better than a giant flour tortilla lol. Luckily she doesn't cook for me that much.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Maybe your mom was trolling you.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

lizch is offline Senior Member
    A flower tortilla sounds kinda low carb and colorful
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

LOL..."flower" .....le sigh. Since having the grokling I am almost, but not completely, entirely unable to form a comprehensive sentence free of grammar / spelling errors.

mozzy10 is offline Senior Member
    I have started using the word starch more than carb. Then I explain that I mean foods like bread, cereal, pasta and potatoes. I explain I eat lots of veggies and fruit.