Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get the Primal TAN? page

traintolive is offline Senior Member

How to get the Primal TAN?

Primal Fuel
    Hi!

I wondered how to become more tanned, since I am from a cold area where the sun doesn't shine a lot, plus I am really, really, really light skinned and have light hair.

I already take Vitamin D pills, but they don't seem to help.

Any other advice? I thought about going to solarium, but I am scared to become red and not look healthy tanned but... well .. like I go to the solarium.

Please help.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    o_o
    ad astra per aspera

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I wasn't aware that vitamin D would make you tan.

I use tanning beds/booths occasionally, typically in early Spring before it's warm enough to sunbathe. If you don't over-do it, and moisturize properly, this can work just fine. I typically only go once or twice a week at most. I'm probably going to buy a package at the beginning of March. I also find that a few trips to the tanning salon before summer hits gets me "primed" for summer so that I don't get a bad sunburn the first time I'm out in the sun too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    I wasn't aware that vitamin D would make you tan.
    I thought you get Vitamin D from sunlight.
    Grok from Germany

Primal since End/Beginning of 2010/2011

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    You do, but your question makes it sound like you're taking Vitamin D to get tan, in which case it doesn't work.

Do you want more vitamin D, or a tan, or both?

truthclimb is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by traintolive View Post
    I thought you get Vitamin D from sunlight.
    True, but it's not the actual vitamin D that's making your skin darker. It's the UVA and UVB rays from the sun which affect the melanin in your skin. Supplementing with vitamin D is great and you should continue to do it, but it will not give you a tan.

Loco Moco is offline Member
    as great as they are for your general health, i'm pretty sure vitamin d pills won't do anything to enhance your tan...and if you're going for a "natural tan", you're probably not going to be able to get that from a solarium (is that the same thing as a tanning bed?). generally, most tanning beds give people that "orange look". there are some lotions and creams that i know give people a little bit of pigment to their skin, but the same thing goes - a lot of them will just turn you orange. but if the solarium and the lotions are your only option, i say go for it - as long as you do lots of research and get many, many customer reviews, just in case!

IMO, just being outside as much as possible is best. even if the sun isn't completely shining, you'll still absorb UV rays even if it's overcast/hazy. if you do get a little sun, go to the beach or someone's backyard pool...the reflection of the sunlight off the water will intensify the sunlight. rubbing coconut oil into your skin does the same thing (plus it makes you smell good, it's a win-win!)

but be careful either way - since you said you have really light skin to begin with, you'll have to take it reeeeally slow so you don't burn!

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    You do, but your question makes it sound like you're taking Vitamin D to get tan, in which case it doesn't work.

Do you want more vitamin D, or a tan, or both?
    Oh sorry. Yeah I want both.
    Grok from Germany

Primal since End/Beginning of 2010/2011

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    you might check out the info at tanningguru.com. he's danish and has done a fair bit of research.

we are considering tanning for about 10 minutes twice a week in low flow bulbs with a UVA/UVB balance. it's enough to get more D, and then also to have just a slight "pink" response (not a burn), and then you *moisturize* like crazy. avocado, coconut, calendula added in, good for ya.

then there might be a "base tan" which is a nice glow, without being orange (which comes from spray and over tanning), and also gets consistent D conversion from the uvb.

Enamel is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm totally clueless about tanning - but is it possible for people who freckle to get tans? Cuz I either get burnt or get more freckles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast