Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Meat page

Camila is offline Member

Red Meat

Primal Fuel
    Does anyone ever have trouble digesting red meat and get indigestion and other unfavorable symptoms after eating a steak? Do some people just not tolerate red meat well? I would like to be able to include even more red meat in my diet because I am trying to increase fats. Any suggestions would be helpful.

gfprof is offline Member
    Hi Nilla,

Sometimes it takes the stomach a while to heal from grain damage. It took me 9 months of being totally gluten-free to tolerate red meat again. Be patient, hang in there, and when you can handle it again, you'll probably get a wild craving for it (that's what happened to me).

Camila is offline Member
    Hi gfprof,

Thank you for your reply! I have actually been gluten free for 12 years though because I have Celiac. About a month ago, I went Primal. I cut out oats, rice, and corn. I also stopped eating other non-grain but high in carb foods like quinoa. I was eating red meat only on occasion before going Primal but it bothered me then as well. It is frustrating because it is really good but then for (many) hours, my stomach feels horrible. That is why I am wondering if some people just can not tolerate certain foods, although I hope that is not the case with red meat. I am already gluten and lactose intolerant. =(

Loco Moco is offline Member
    i'm in pretty much the same situation, but i was only diagnosed with celiac three years ago, so i probably still have some healing to do. but i have the same reaction to eating a lot of red meat - i feel like i can only eat it once or twice a week, and i usually get acid reflux when i do eat it.

i found that certain cuts of meat are easier for me to tolerate. for example, i can eat liver pate with no problems. it's probably just a digestability issue - pate is easier to break down in the stomach than a huge chunk of steak. maybe the same concept would work with not only pate, but beef tartare or something. i haven't tried it yet.

in the meantime, i've been eating a lot of eggs, fish, and the occasional chicken or pork. like you, i love the taste of red meat, but i'm so put off by my body's reaction to it that i dread eating it.

jpatton624 is offline Member
    This may seem trivial, but chew more.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    I have trouble when I eat a steak that's cooked too much.
    Fortunately, I like them still mooing

Camila is offline Member
    Thanks guys, nice to know I am not the only one with some trouble digesting steak. Chew longer and make it more rare, check!

gfprof is offline Member
    It may also be as simple as avoiding it when you're stressed out or you've been glutened or sick recently-our bodies are weaker at some points than others. I have to go much gentler in a high-stress period.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    something else to mention is to watch your spices, try just sea salt, and how you cook it, opt for low and slow always and do not overcook your red meat

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I drink about 4 oz of kombucha with my meat meals to help with digestion. Some apple cider vinegar in water may help, as an alternative.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast