Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: been told to not exercise due to unexplained dizziness page

duckmama is offline Senior Member

been told to not exercise due to unexplained dizziness

Primal Fuel
    Just a vent. I've had two bouts of unexplained dizziness over the past 4 days. This is very unusual for me, as I'm generally very healthy. My hubby & I spent about 5 hours in the ER on Friday evening because he insisted. I've had an irregular heartbeat my entire life (runs in my family) and have always been told it's nothing to worry about unless it's causing symptoms, and it really never does so I tend to just ignore it. So we spent 5 hours in the ER waiting to be seen to figure out the dizziness. Finally, we see a doctor who gloms on to my mention of the irregular heartbeat. They ran an EKG, which was normal. Anyway, after all that time, they made sure I was in no immediate danger and sent me home. I'm supposed to go to my primary care physician on Monday and get referred to a cardiologist. And then I will probably have to wear a heart monitor for a few days. Ugh. I've been down this route before and it's never shown anything conclusive other than the irregular heartbeat mentioned above. In the meantime, I'm supposed to "take it easy and no exercise."

I'm just frustrated. Yes, I'm concerned about the dizziness, but I hate the CW medical community, and try to avoid it whenever possible. It's frustrating to feel like you can't get a straight answer, and I'm always skeptical about who to trust and who to believe when it comes to the CW medical community.

So on Monday, I'll go see my PCP and see what happens.

Hubby & I have been on a "smart carb" WOE for about 8 months and made the shift to be more primal after the new year. That wasn't a huge leap from what we were doing - just cut out the little bit of grains we were still eating was the main shift and cut back on dairy. I'm not obese - just want to get fitter, trimmer, and be as healthy as possible. No major health issues for me, just a terrible family history of metabolic syndrome.

End of vent...

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    I was having some dizziness, particularly after standing, after starting primal. This has happened before with low carbing. I added more sea salt and have been supplementing with magnesium which has helped tremendously.
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Tinsel is offline Junior Member
    For me, random dizziness is the first sign of sinus issues, congestion or infection.

Hope you get it figured out soon!

Annika is offline Senior Member
    Does your dizziness get worse with position changes? You may have benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, a very common and non-dangerous inner ear condition.
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Pezerinno is offline Senior Member
    SOrry to hi-jack but I get dizzy when walking with seemingly no explanation - any ideas?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i've had a couple of run-ins with dizziness...once with bppv, and once with something called orthorstatic (sp?) hypertension. for the vertigo i saw a doctor and he was no help, so i found an at-home remedy that works 90-something percent of the time...vertigo gone. the hypertension was actually figured out by my chiropractor, and it's a sudden change in blood pressure (upon standing for me) that would last anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes. it has since not been so common a problem, but my chiro said that getting up slowly would help, as would keeping my head above my heart (so if laying down, first sit, then stand).

i'm not sure if that helps at all. i hope you figure it out.

Kelda is offline Senior Member
    Gary Taubes talks about change in position dizziness, a side effect of eating low carb. Eating this way reduces your blood pressure, which is why it is so good for hypertensives and metabolic syndrome etc. I can't remember the exact mechanism but it's to do with your kidneys and the level of salts they retain to control blood pressure. The answer appears to be add salt to your diet which will increase your blood pressure and it should no longer be an issue.

Both my husband and I can find ourselves a little dizzy if we get up from a chair quickly, we both have low blood pressure. So add salt - the easy way I find is to have salted butter :-)
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

Annika is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    i've had a couple of run-ins with dizziness...once with bppv, and once with something called orthorstatic (sp?) hypertension. for the vertigo i saw a doctor and he was no help, so i found an at-home remedy that works 90-something percent of the time...vertigo gone. the hypertension was actually figured out by my chiropractor, and it's a sudden change in blood pressure (upon standing for me) that would last anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes. it has since not been so common a problem, but my chiro said that getting up slowly would help, as would keeping my head above my heart (so if laying down, first sit, then stand).
    I believe you mean orthostatic hypOtention, a temporary drop in blood pressure caused by changing from a horizontal to a vertical position. This is a common cause of dizziness, but it usually goes away very quickly.

I was talking about positional changes of the head. Look up at the ceiling, turn quickly to one side, etc. This can move particles in your balance sensors in the inner ear.

Just wanted to clarify that people are discussing two different positional changes, both of which could lead to dizziness but for different reasons.
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    Yay! No other symptoms all weekend. Went to my primary care doc today, and he gave me a very thorough exam. He gave me a clean bill of health unless the symptoms continue or worsen. He said it was probably vertigo. He explained there are different types and hopefully this is one that will not continue to bother me. He said again not to worry about the heart rhythm thing if I'm having no other symptoms. He said my type of rhythm abnormality I have is very common, has been studied extensively, and many people live there whole lives with it and never have it be a big issue. He said some doctors prescribe meds but most do more harm than good in the long run, and he would never recommend them for a young, otherwise healthy person like me.

What a relief. And I can exercise again! Yay! Going to get a long power walk this afternoon to make up for very little activity over the weekend.

kiwineil is offline Senior Member
    fascinating ... im having major problems with headspins when i stand up rapidly frm sitting or lying .. never happened before .. will up the salt intake and see if that helps ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast