Thread: My new workout aid: My pack frame page

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I bought a 35# bag of sand at Lowe's with the intention of making a Bulgarian tube......one of these days. Then I remembered my pack frame in storage; yeah, the Rockies ain't here, sigh. It's a frame and pack I picked up at Goodwill for $7 once and I added about $25 in real heavy duty padded straps and hip belt. The weight rides on the hips, not the shoulders.

So today I put the bag of sand in the main compartment, and after some sprints, did my beach walk. Wonderful! Kept my pulse up, stretched new muscles. Did some step ups at the pavilion, did some squats. Not deep, that could undo my knee, but now, with extra resistance, oh yeah. Very nice.

I have another 40 pounds of assorted weights I can add, too.

Now, it's too bad there are no hills to pretend it's Bobcat Creek on my left and not the Gulf of Mexico!

AT22 is offline Junior Member

Great idea!

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Brilliant!

Althaur is offline Senior Member

I absolutely love putting something heavy in my pack and going for a walk/run. Now I just need to try it in my Five Fingers.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

I did that last year in the winter here. I'd load up my pack with all my ice climbing gear and whatever else I could find and just run. Sprinting in minus 30C weather through a foot and a half of fresh snow really takes your breath away let me tell you!

I grok, therefore I am.

Geoff is offline Member

Awesome. Carrying a load on your back and taking a walk out in the daylight - it don't get any more primal than that. Just don't knock the Gulf (though I'm guessing you were kidding) - the beach is a great natural surface for a walking workout, and there are plenty of things that would be waaaay worse to have on your left.

feltsole is offline Junior Member

Great idea. I take my 30# son on many hikes in my child carrier backpack.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

@Lovestoclimb: LOL!

Geoff: Yes, very primal except for nylon and aluminum! I like to bitch about Florida cuz my heart never has been here, whether a kid or fifty years later. But trust me, I DO set aside my prejudices for the many moments of beauty that abound here. Some of those moments are bikini'ed and some are otherwise, but a lot of things to appreciate!

Being barefoot for months on end and walking on the sand has strengthened my game knee, no question about it. I remember ten years ago on a visit and when I tried to walk on soft sand, every three or four steps.....ka-poing! Now I sprint in the stuff.

Geoff is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I spent a dozen years or so on the Atlantic coast of Florida (aww hell, I'll say it: Miami), and those mornings on the beach at sunrise were a thing of beauty. I'm here in the Blue Ridge now. Another beautiful place in its own unique way, but I still sometimes long for those long stretches of ocean-side sand.

The nylon and aluminum are a reasonable trade off for something that's ergonomically sound. Grok didn't have heavy duty padded straps and a hip belt, but he'd not have turned them down if offered.