Thread: Vegetables - What can we eat? page

Valkyria is offline Senior Member

Vegetables - What can we eat?

Shop Now
    Both me and my boyfriend have IBS, which is a lot better now that we are mostly primal. We also have some joint pains which might be down to nightshades.
    We're thinking of cutting out nightshades, and we are already avoiding vegetables that are now to cause gas, but what does that leave us with?

Currently we're eating courgettes, radishes, beetroot, sweet potato, mushrooms, carrots, kale, spinach and avocado.

Any other suggestions?
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Proud mother of twin girls!

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Chard, onions, garlic, mixed greens or lettuce (of various sorts), asparagus, cauliflower?

Those are all things I eat routinely. Not sure how they'd affect IBS, though!
    "Oh, you wanted answers...yeah, sorry, I'm not so good with those. Uh, probably something to do with science or something..." -- canio6

August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

Sometimes blogging as The Primal Mind. (My unorthodox and filthy-mouthed journal is semi-retired at this point)

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Have you been completely off grains and vegetable oils for a month or more? It's not unusual for symptoms to continue for six weeks or so after elimination. Be careful that you don't trick yourselves into thinking that you're sensitive to something that you are not. Always retest, anyway, preferably in a blinded manner.

Gordo

liss is offline Senior Member
    the dry wheat-infested side of washington state
    Valkyria, you have my sympathy. I've had to pare my veggie options way down lately too.

Celery, butter lettuce, arugula, olives (if you consider them a veg) and small amounts of pumpkin might work for you. I try to go pretty light on the celery and spinach most days because of the oxalic acid content. (As my brother pointed out--he can actually feel something weird/acidic on his teeth after eating spinach. We surmised it might be oxalic acid and henceforth have switched to butter lettuce and arugula.)

I hope to learn other veg options in this thread. I miss them on my plate.

PatrickF is offline Senior Member
    Broccoli, fennel, all variants of cabbage, all kinds of leafy herbs, turnips, yams/taro, lotus root

Quote Originally Posted by gordo View Post
    Have you been completely off grains and vegetable oils for a month or more? It's not unusual for symptoms to continue for six weeks or so after elimination. Be careful that you don't trick yourselves into thinking that you're sensitive to something that you are not. Always retest, anyway, preferably in a blinded manner.

Gordo
    Well, I'm trying to stay off grains completely but I must admit that I do give in to temptations sometimes ... We do use rapeseed oil occasionally, but mostly butter or olive oil.

I know I should try and figure out exactly what it is I'm reacting to, it's just hard when there's so many possible culprits. I think I might have a problem with fructose as well so that rules out a lot more vegetables and fruits.
    It's so frustrating at times!

I'll have to be really strict with myself and make a plan for how to figure this out I think.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone! A few things I hadn't though of.
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Primalvore is offline Senior Member
    Valkyria,

If, like me, you guys suffer from IBS-C, I feel your pain. I was about ready to die when I started eating healthy and looking forward to vegetables...only to realize that I couldn't digest brussels sprouts, broccoli, or other good cruciferous greens.

The first piece of advice I can give you is that some people can ease into these vegetables naturally by cooking them. So softened broccoli, pureed cauliflower - I know it doesn't sound too appetizing, but it helps your body get used to it again!

Are you guys taking any sort of enzymes? I realized recently that I wasn't digesting my food, so I started taking Betaine HCL after meals, which produces more stomach acid and helps digestion. It has helped immensely. If you want more info on Betaine let me know!

PS - Yellow (Summer) Squash sauteed in a little butter or coconut oil is Ahmmaaazzzinngggg

"The Way We Do Anything Is the Way We Do Everything"
    ~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry
    My Leangains/Primal Lifestyle Challenge to begin 2/7/11!
    Check out the Blog for Daily Progress

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyria View Post
    Well, I'm trying to stay off grains completely but I must admit that I do give in to temptations sometimes ... We do use rapeseed oil occasionally, but mostly butter or olive oil.
    Don't bother with the other experiments until you completely, and I mean completely eliminate grains for a month. You will most likely learn nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyria View Post
    I know I should try and figure out exactly what it is I'm reacting to, it's just hard when there's so many possible culprits.
    Yes, it's hard. You have to decide whether it's worth it or not.

I played with 'avoiding' food classes 25 years ago due to chronic gastro distress. I learned nothing. Then, about five years ago I got really sick and ate only chicken broth for ten days. My digestion cleared up. I then got serious about elimination dieting. It turned out to be cheese. Not other dairy, just cheese. When I reintroduced it, it took six weeks for the symptoms to clear again. When I unknowingly get exposed(cream cheese in refried beans at a restaurant was the latest) I get symptoms but they now resolve in days.

Since gluten can cause so many other problems and apparent sensitivities, I'd completely eliminate it first and then keep it out of my diet completely while I did the other testing. It's a PITA and you have to decide whether your symptoms are serious enough to warrant the time and trouble. There is no shortcut, sorry.

Gordo

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I'm going to try some kind of elimination diet and hopefully figure it out. Lactose today!
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy