Thread: A Call to New Jersey-ites! page

lexsi340 is offline Senior Member

A Call to New Jersey-ites!

Shop Now
    Hello New Jerseyans/ites (hopefully this isn't offensive )

I happen to be a spoiled West Coaster used to having a whole foods/trader joes always less than a mile from my house, or at least a near year round farmers market, and pretty great public transport to get to it! I've never really understood people on here saying it is hard to find inexpensive meat/products like coconut oil.

ANYWAY, this fall I will be transferring to the university in New Brunswick, and will be cooking/prepping all my meals.. I just assumed I'd shop at Trader Joe's for inexpensive food and supplement with another health food store and farmers markets (it seems so green and farmer-like? ha!). A quick google let me know the closest ones are an hour and half transit ride away, and I couldn't find much info about grocery stories (except for a co-op). I'm sure there are local chains that are equivalent to Trader Joes, or even just a chain that offers inexpensive organic meats/veggies.. but I couldn't find much. I figured the locals would give me the best tips!

So, anyone in NB area who is primal? Where do you shop? Where are the best deals?
    Thanks!!

RJfromNJ is offline Junior Member

go easy on NJ

New Jersey is called the "garden state" for a reason...despite the general opinion, once you move away from the Turnpike, it's a beautiful state, though I don't often like to brag about it...I'd rather leave people to their ignorance - why attract more people to "our little secret"!!

Anyway, NJ is loaded with Wholefoods, Trader Joes's and Wegmans (yes, the east coast has it's own super-premium yuppie/organic chain), and the area between New Brunswick and Trenton has a few organic farms that I found on the web.

Hope you enjoy it when you get here!

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member
    Wait wait, you mean the entire state isn't made up of Snookies and Situations? And here I had this image of an Escape from LA style wasteland of nothing but tanning booths, gyms and clubs with a population of hungover oompa loompas.
    My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

theholla is offline Senior Member
    I lived in New Brunswick for years! I moved in 2005 though, so some of this advice may be out of date...

Anyway, definitely check out the George Street Coop. As of a couple years ago, they were 100% vegetarian, but they did have stuff like organic produce, organic dairy, bulk spices, supplements, and other neat stuff. Plus, the people working there were always very nice.

The New Brunswick Farmer's Market near the intersection of French St. and Suydam St. caters to the Latino population. It carries dirt cheap fish and exotic super-fresh produce, though none of it is organic or anything.

One of the next towns over, Highland Park, is a bit more upscale. They have a farm market that sets up in a parking lot, either on Saturday or Sunday, I don't remember which. If you have a car (or a buddy with one), it is also worth driving north on 27 a ways - there is a giant Asian grocery store (I think in Edison) with a killer produce section and some really weird meat. Hong Kong Supermarket on 18 is fun too, but a bit farther.

The grocery stores in the immediate New Brunswick area are all pretty conventional though. The closest Whole Foods is in Princeton, which is a pain on public transit. The closest Trader Joe's are in Princeton and Westfield. Wegmans is awesome, and there are quite a few nearby, but like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, they're not that convenient by bus or train, especially if you're bringing back a ton of food. If you do want to go to those types of places, I'd recommend befriending someone with a car!

It's worth mentioning that there are a couple community gardens in NB, so you can get a plot and grow your own organic stuff if you like.

Good luck, and enjoy NJ!
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adventure8410 View Post
    Wait wait, you mean the entire state isn't made up of Snookies and Situations? And here I had this image of an Escape from LA style wasteland of nothing but tanning booths, gyms and clubs with a population of hungover oompa loompas.
    Those guys are actually from new York. The only castmember from NJ is Sammy... I mean... what is television?