Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal for Pets? page

Buttercup is offline Senior Member

Question Primal for Pets?

Shop Now
    Hi all,

I'm a newbie, so please forgive me if this topic has been covered before.

I've been PB for almost 3 weeks and loving it. With the increase in meat around here, I've noticed our 2 cats becoming quite the beggars and lingering around my daughter's high chair in the hopes of some fallen morsels. They've never done this before!

It's made me think I need to give them a primal diet too. They run through their dry food quickly and seem to be starving by the time dinnertime rolls around. Of course, I assume this is due to the carbs in it!

I've been browsing the pet food section and have looked at several more natural-based versions, but all seem to have some sort of grain in them (barley, corn, wheat, etc.).

Does anyone have any recommendations for primal pet food for cats? I found Primal Pet Foods online, but they don't have an online store and there are no vendors around these parts. There is also some frozen stuff at my co-op, but it's expensive! Is there anything else out there?

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Port Townsend, Washington
    Orijen. By far the most Primal I have found. My dog thrives on it!

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    Orijen is great, so is evo, and taste of the wild. All grain free

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Atlanta, GA
    I do Orijen one meal and raw the other. You can buy frozen raw at some pet stores.

I cube and freeze these in a single layer, then bag:
    Beef heart
    Pork shoulder
    Beef liver
    Chicken livers
    Chicken hearts
    Chicken wings no need to ct

In the morning out pull out a mix of frozen cubes. By dinner time it is thawed and ready. Miss K munches through the wings bones and all with no problem. Her coat has never looked better.

Namasteak is offline Senior Member
    We had our dog on a primal kibble but have moved him to a raw (prey model) diet. His behavior is better (less anxious & more happy), coat looks awesome, not as many allergies....its great! And not anymore expensive than the dry high quality stuff

Suzan is offline Senior Member
    Raw or home cooked meat really is best. I can't do raw for mine, so I home cook for them. I rotate meat and veggies. No grains. I supplement with a multi, calcium, and glucosamine.

Sometimes I use Dr. Harvey's Veg-to-Bowl. It's a pre-mix of veggies, no grains, nutritionally complete. Easy! You just add raw or cooked meat, and oil - like fish oil. My dogs love it.

Weruva makes a good canned food. Some of them are grain-free.

If you have to feed kibble, IMO Orijen and Acana Pacifica are the best.

Hope this helps.

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member
    Clarkston, WA
    My (supposed to be) miniature Aussie has been on a raw diet (prey model) since 6 weeks of age.

He tips the scale at over 55 pounds-which is good-sized for a Standard Australian, let alone a papered miniature(!)-and has a huge amount of bone. His cannon bones ("wrists") are the same diameter as mine. He stands approx 23" tall-again, at the top of the 'standard' for a regular aussie. He gets strictly meat-hand him a doggy bone, and he'll take it politely, and then go bury it. Has no interest in it. His idea of a treat worth wiggling for is freeze dried liver.

He has bright white teeth (no dental required in the forseeable future), minimal 'poopage', and a soft, glossy, minimally-shedding coat (which for a longhaired, double coated dog is really saying something). The only time he sheds is when he blows his coat in spring and fall...though I do keep him bathed and brushed regularly with copious amounts of showsheen to minimize the dirt he tracks into the house.

Acmebike is offline Member
    90 and have high organ pet mix, bones etc. Not bad places to pick yourself up some meat, too!

Geordie is offline Junior Member
    Perth Western Australia
    Does anyone have any observations on hyperactive/agitated dogs settling down on a primal diet of raw meat and a few veggies?

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Northern Ireland
    Learn More
    I don't like that Orijen for cats contains potatoes. I really disagree with feeding cats nightshades.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast