Thread: Lower n-6 fat source: grain finished beef tallow or coconut oil? page

NoMoreGrains is offline Member

Lower n-6 fat source: grain finished beef tallow or coconut oil?

I made it my New Years resolution to get off of fish oil (I had spent the last 5 months of 2010 taking massive doses of daily fish oil to balance my ratio), and reduce overall PUFA. I now eat primarily grass fed beef and wild caught fish, with about a dozen n-3 enriched eggs per week (I will start eating eclusively pastured eggs soon). My primary fat sources are virgin coconut oil (my go-to fat, I eat about 5 tablespoons a day or more), and beef tallow. My grass fed beef is very lean (CW manages to infiltrate the market for grass fed beef), so I end up adding A LOT of fat to it. I get beef suet from Whole Foods for free (although they can never give me enough to last long enough!), sometimes they can give me grass fed, but usually they only have the grain finished, antibiotic, hormone, etc. free stuff. So which of these fats would be lower in n-6, the high quality yet grain finished beef tallow, or the virgin coconut oil? Keep in mind, I will continue to use both, but coconut oil is currently used more. The new blog posts from Dr. Kurt Harris have got me thinking that even the grain finished beef tallow would be superior, because it's got long chain saturated fat, and from a ruminant animal.
    Last edited by NoMoreGrains; 01-29-2011 at 08:33 PM.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I tend to favor coconut oil, but I love my grass-fed tallow too, especially for cooking venison. I typically use coconut for vegetables and eggs, and the tallow (or lard) for meats.

Nothing wrong with using both, in whatever ratio you decide. I think in the long run it's probably not a big difference either way.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    There's a post on Practically Primal that explains that the cow's diet doesn't affect the amount of n-6, just the n-3. In any case, nutritiondata.self.com says that beef tallow has 3100mg per 100g, coconut oil has 1800mg per 100g.