Thread: Getting through the carb-flu while working/college..? page

lexsi340 is offline Senior Member

Getting through the carb-flu while working/college..?

Hey guys, so I have been trying to follow your advice and cut out fruit, nuts, artificial sweetners, and caffiene to achieve the full effects of PB.
    Unfortunately, I start in the morning, lie in bed all day, and finally by 7pm I really need to get work done (17 credit college student), and the only thing that will improve my mood (not by much, but enough..) is fruit/caffeine/sugar. Of course, this just increases my sweet tooth, so I dig out any non-primal foods in the house (hot-cocoa by the spoonful was today's lucky winner.. i know).
    I took off a weekend to get through wheat/processed food withdrawals, but I just don't have time to be unproductive.
    I know everyone else here has busy lives too, so I'm wondering how you managed!
    I've been thinking of just taking one out at a time - and I'm wondering what I should take out first. Fruit is only berries, artificial sweeteners = splenda/stevia that is already in my tea, and caffeine is only tea. I know the body treats sugar/wheat similarly, but I know stevia/splenda have low GI, so I'm wondering if they basically do the same thing (I'm guessing they do.. guess I'm in denial).
    Also, I have hypothyroidism, and I am wondering if maybe I should just keep fruit and up my primal carbs because I've heard we don't do well in ketosis..? I've upped my fat as per your recommendations, greatly increased my protein. I would like to lose 5 more pounds, but I understand if to be fully healthy with a thyroid problem I need to just increase my healthy carbs and start worrying about toning rather than weight loss.
    Also, I take vitamin d and fish-oil.
    By the way - I also did take out fruit completely as per the forums suggestions, but just didn't see any real improvement (just an incredible surge in hunger that resulted in weight gain).

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    Put fruit back in. Carbs are not bad, especially since you said you were doing berries.

Thanks, I'll try that. I got the recommendation to cut it out because I was having intense sugar cravings/binges at the end of the night.. but maybe because I was doing bananas/apples.

Namasteak is offline Senior Member
    You've just started so ease into it instead of being super strict right off the bat. Berries are one of the best fruits you can eat, so why don't you keep those in your diet until you adjust to everything else or realize that they are preventing the improvements you're looking for. I transitioned from several cups of coffee/day to tea to no caffeine over several months in addition to the nutritional changes.

Baby steps are still progress, and IMO easier.

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lexsi340 View Post
    Thanks, I'll try that. I got the recommendation to cut it out because I was having intense sugar cravings/binges at the end of the night.. but maybe because I was doing bananas/apples.
    Were you eating them on their own or coupled with other foods? Eating fruits with a bit of protein/fat can help with cravings later on.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Great - I'll stick with babysteps, I guess I have been intimidated by the cold turkey gung ho approach I've seen in the forums! I actually cut out processed food & wheat a few months ago. I'm just wondering what I should cut out next - what is the worst offended after wheat.