Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Farmer's Market Finds page

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member

Farmers' Market Finds

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I live in South Central Texas so my local farmer's market is still pretty active in January. I have to say that after a couple of months of primal living, a trip to the market is a totally different experience. I see those tables of greens in a different way, full of possibilities.

Today I scored 2 dozen fresh eggs, 3 pounds of grass fed beef, mustard greens, broccoli, and a head of cabbage. That is where my cash supply ran out.

Tomorrow I will make a dish with some of the beef and cabbage, add some onion, garlic, a little carrot, and some apple cider vinegar, and maybe some bacon.

What have you found at the Farmer's Market lately and what do you plan to do with it?
    Last edited by TornadoGirl; 01-29-2011 at 07:48 PM.
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Herbwifemama is offline Senior Member
    Haven't been to the farmer's market in forever. I do this though: http://www.greenbeandelivery.com/

We get our produce, eggs, and most of our meat from there. We also have a winter farmer's market, but I only went to the holiday one. When the weather warms up, we'll likely go back and I plan on stocking up on beef liver and chicken livers.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Our farmers market closed in December and I'm anxiously awaiting its reopening.

I typically get veggies there. Meat I buy through my connections, and eggs usually come from Amish neighbors. I have bought duck eggs though, and beef heart, and kidney. Kohlrabi, brussels sprouts, kale, garlic scapes, gooseberries, currents, blueberries... whatever I'm craving and has a good price.

BohemianBo is offline Member
    Yay! Hooray for Farmers' Markets! They are the only place to shop.

Actually I'm a little biased. I've been running about five farmers' markets up here in Sacramento for the past seven years. But seriously, farmers' markets and PB go together like butter on steak.

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    Free beef heart, probably put it in a stew.

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    Today, I got a grass-fed roast, 2 dozen eggs, swiss chard, green onions, and bok choy. I'm working up my courage to buy the grass-fed beef liver. I haven't had liver since I was forced to eat it as a child...
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

aktres is offline Senior Member
    I just got back from the Farmers Market and it is chilly and raining here in NYC. I got three pounds of grass-fed ground beef, two pounds of bones for soup (Grazin' Acres, Grass Fed Angus - love them), and some heirloom potatoes. I am recently into potatoes again, probably not the greatest idea but it could be worse. I'm sad I forgot to pick up some bison!

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Sad. Living in the mountains of COlorado means no farmers market from October to april usually. BUT! There is one of the farms here does a CSA program all winter and I just found out they are going to do $20 promo boxes to try to get more new folks so I need to check that out!

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Spot of pride: my farmer's market got voted the best in the nation. I don't honestly know how widespread the "competition" was but still...we won it. Rochester NY. Woo! I LOVE it. The only problem is that in winter significantly fewer people show up, so significantly fewer vendors show up. Seriously, right now I have a choice between turnips, turnips, turnips, half-rotten peppers, turnips, parsnips, and turnips.

But it's my best source for brilliant fish and meats.

As for awesome finds? Well, I can get a huge bag of cow femur bones, maybe 7lbs? for 4 dollars.

I randomly brought my camera for a stupidly early trip a while ago:

Plus don't even get me started on the little Asian woman who sells me my fish. I LOVE her.
    Last edited by carlh; 02-05-2011 at 02:06 PM.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctiluca View Post
    Sad. Living in the mountains of COlorado means no farmers market from October to april usually.
    i think living in the mountains of Colorado sounds worth any hassle! jealous!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast