Thread: seborrheic dermatitis page

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I went to the dermatologist today because I'm having a seborrheic dermatitis flare-up on my scalp. She prescribed me Temovate. I research every RX before I use it (perks of working in a research facility) and found that this is a corticosteroid. I am very reluctant to use this! I was not encouraged by what I read:

"Systemic absorption of topical corticosteroids can produce reversible HPA axis suppression with the potential for giucocorticosteroid insufficiency after withdrawal from treatment. Manifestations of Cushing's syndrome, hyperglycemia, and glucosuria can also be produced in some patients by systemic absorption of topical corticosteroids while on therapy."

I have been rubbing coconut oil into my scalp at night before bed and that seems to alleviate it somewhat. Anything else that can be recommended? I'd like to stay away from any kind of steroid if at all possible.

Yes, Cortisol steroids are now being linked to some major nasty 'side effects'. One of the worst (or most immediate) issues is that your body gets used to it and then the dosage must be increased to continue to work.

Well, now you can imagine the results of that cycle. More, more, more....bam! Ineffective! It's a band-aid, at best :-(

Have you tried Baking Soda rinses? Not only will it help with the flare-up, but the itching and pain as well.

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

I have not tried baking soda but I'll give it a whirl tonight! I have tried vinegar to no avail.

Here's one that I found:

"Aloe treats Seborrheic Dermatitis

Aloe

The gel inside the cactus-like leaves of the aloe plant (Aloe vera) has traditionally been used to treat burns and cuts. A recent study indicates it may also help relieve the symptoms of seborrheic dermatitis.

In this double-blind placebo-controlled study, 44 adults with seborrheic dermatitis applied either an aloe ointment or a placebo cream to affected areas 2 times daily for 4 to 6 weeks. Compared to the placebo group, those who used aloe reported that their symptoms improved significantly (62% vs. 25%). Doctors who examined the participants also concluded that those using aloe had a significant decrease in scaliness, itching, and number of affected areas.1

Dosage

For seborrheic dermatitis, apply aloe gel 2 times daily on the affected areas."

Tarlach is offline Member

For seborrheic dermatitis, you can use anti-fungicides like Nizoral:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketoconazole#cite_note-3

Just don't drink the stuff (as it can lower testosterone levels). Using it on the outside of your head is fine.

Also, the possible side effects from topical corticosteroids you listed are usually associated with very high doses of the stuff, from steroid treatment of asthma and rheumatoid arthritis, or in immunosuppression after an organ transplant.

I don't think that would be a concern from low doses over a short period of time.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Helen Guest

I am not sure if this will help, but it helped my rashy and itchy area under the breasts.

I took an organic cage free egg shells, 2 of them. I put them in a small jar and covered the shells with raw apple cider vinegar. I let this stand on the kitchen counter for 2 days and then started applying it with a cotton ball. It took less then 3 applications and the rash and itch was gone.

Helen Guest

The itch was driving me nuts and I could not always scratch that area at least in public! LOL

yellah is offline Junior Member
    Hi, i have been diagnosed of seborrhic dermatitis. It had reduced my self esteem and confidence. Everything in my life changed. I went from a happy person to a really sad and angry one. However, i realized that when i used this herbal, it has helped me with my problem. I found this herbal named LACTO PAFI. I am from the philippines by the way, so i guess it is only sold here. However, with internet and fast shipping, you may be able to buy it online too. I noticed that when i used this LACTO PAFI herbal, my sebborhic dermatitis was gone after 1 year and 7 months, after that i was completely healed. However, when i dont use the LACTO PAFI, my sebborhic dermatitis stayed with me for almost 8years that it ate my life. I hope you could get the chance to be healed too. Always remember, that the best healer is GOD and with Him, nothing is impossible. Have a wonderful day yo'all.

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi DCKMB. How long have you been Primal? I had rampant SD which about 95% cleared up within the first year of Primal. (I suspect the final 5% would go if I could keep off the sugar!)

Things I used pre-Primal that kept things under control: the gentlest shampoo available (Allergenics is good), and massage with essential oils in an almond oil base with 10% jojoba. (You could use coconut, too.) Lavender + chamomile oils are good for painful inflammation; a little tea tree is good when it's just flaking, not flaring. (I found tea tree, brilliant anti-fungal though it is, was quite hard on the skin and would delay healing when it was really broken.) Patchouli's a good one, too, and rosemary. Keep an eye on the oils' other properties - lavender & chamomile, for instance, are on the sedative side. I would wash my hair, apply the oils to my scalp with it still wet, wrap it in a warm towel and wash again after a couple of hours. As long as I stuck to this, and didn't go too long between washes, my scalp would stay clear.

(Writing all that out reminds me how much time going Primal has saved...)