Thread: Waking up hungry, help! page

demos is offline Junior Member

Waking up hungry, help!

Primal Fuel
    I am a little over three weeks into PB and am continuing to make adjustments to my eating-- I was so gung ho the first 10 days I think I only ate pot roast, bacon, spinach and omelets. I dropped about 1 1/2 pounds (I would like to drop another 2 or 3).

Now I am having coconut milk, more vegetables, 85% chocolate, mixed nuts, kefir and maybe some other okay PB foods. I am still working out (fairly Primally-- sprint like workouts and weights)

The issue: I am now waking up in the middle of the night with a low blood sugar-type hunger. I think the obvious answer is I need to eat more, but I am wondering if this is common to others.

nutritionut is offline Member
    What is the timing of your meals throughout the day? Do you keep your blood sugar stable? Make sure you have a good dinner about 3 hours before bed. You might want to consider a light snack before bed.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    It happened to me several times at first, my dad too. I just ate some eggs and felt better. It'll pass.

walkingbird is offline Member
    Eat when you're hungry, even if it's in the middle of the night. The only time when this happens to me is when I eat light foods for dinner. Eight hours without food is a looong fast, if you haven't been feeding yourself well throughout the day. I agree with tfarny, you should try something like eggs or chicken or almond milk and see whether that fixes it.
    By The Ancestral Fire - insights and opinions regarding primal living.

As a friend once said, "Bacon is the Journey of food. You may pretend to hate it, but secretly you still love it."

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    Waking up hungry in the middle of the night might be a blood glucose issue. If I wake up hungry I eat, but try keeping your last meal of the day lower in carbs and higher in fat, that might help keep you from waking up hungry.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    This happens to me if I eat a very high carb dinner. If I eat lots of fat, meat, and veggies I don't get that low blood sugar hungry thing.

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    This happens to me if I eat a very high carb dinner. If I eat lots of fat, meat, and veggies I don't get that low blood sugar hungry thing.
    Yes same here. I used to wake in the morning feeling like I'd die of hunger no matter how much I ate. Now if I have eaten primal don't have that issue, I am ready for breakfast but shower and dress first and then cook, without a feeling of urgency.

I am wondering if something you added in is having a carby effect on you.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Kay Exeye is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    same here.
    it's amazing to me to have stable blood sugars when i used to get the shakes and double vision regularly.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Is the waking up new? In which case try some Magnesium before bed. it is perfectly normal to be hungry in the middle of the night if you wake up. Ghrelin levels are high which drive hunger but also help HGH release which helps muscle growth. The hunger is probably not waking you up, but it does seem that many people have waking issues when they first start PB.

I find if the hunger is making it difficult to get back to sleep a very small protein snack is best. an ounce of ham, a piece of cheese.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Keep an open can of coconut milk in fridge, take a giant slug in the night.