Thread: I'm so confused about alll these protein drinks

I'm so confused about alll these protein drinks

Shop Now
    I drink the stuff all the time, and the more I learn about the various types, the more confused I get!

Here's an interesting piece on whey that made a ot of sense to me, and is sure to stir some controversy:
    http://www.charmcitykettlebells.com/...hs-in-on-whey/

Myoplex? Optimum Whey? Syncra Six? Spiru-tein? Primal Fuel?

Calgon, take me away!

Awesome article, I have cut out protein powders. I transitioned to Tony Gonzalez's "Grass fed Whey" a while but no matter what brand or kind you get their are a million ingredients. I am so sick of the list of crap added to everything, now I train fasted and 45 minutes later eat a pound of grass fed ground beef with onions, mushrooms, etc......Real food is the way to go!

I am definitely going to try his beef broth idea, sounds good

Wow. He said it way better than I could. Here I've been comparing the stuff to sugar. I was wrong. The protein class equivalent of HFCS. Bingo.

Gordo

That article doesn't make any good arguments against whey protein. I'm not saying good arguments don't exist (though I haven't seen any)--just that the cited article doesn't make any. Just because whey protein is considered a waste product by producers of cheese doesn't make whey protein "garbage." Just because some low grade whey powders come from China doesn't mean that all whey proteins are bad.

I've been happy with Primal Fuel. I use it as a snack or a meal replacement, not as a post-workout protein load. The ingredients are a lot easier to understand and it tastes good enough to drink without loading up extra stuff just to get it down.

IMO, it's very much a matter of what brand you buy - they don't need to have 'a million ingredients' at all. That kind usually tastes absolutely crap and so artificial and chemical-ish and oversweet it makes you gag.

However, the whey protein I use is simply 100% whey protein from grass-fed AU/NZ cows milk, no pesticides, herbicides or GMO whatevers. Same brand but flavoured version = added organic cocoa and a touch of xylitol. Delish.

No, the point is that it isn't food. It has no nutritional value whatsoever and replaces real food, which does, as a protein source. Why aren't you getting all of your carbs from sugar and all of your fat from coconut oil?

Same reason.

Gordo

I replaced my post-workout shake with a hard boiled egg, stick with real food.

Shop Now
    Protein powders are HIGHLY processed "foods." To my knowledge, the processing of most commercial whey goes something like this:

Raw milk --> pasteurization --> homogenization --> cheese/yogurt --> pasteurized liquid whey --> baking/dehydrating --> chemical treatment --> protein powder

Whey is already a very fragile protein, so I wouldn't consider whey protein powders a healthy option in any situation.