Thread: I'm so confused about alll these protein drinks page

scubahhh is offline Junior Member

I'm so confused about alll these protein drinks

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I drink the stuff all the time, and the more I learn about the various types, the more confused I get!

Here's an interesting piece on whey that made a ot of sense to me, and is sure to stir some controversy:
    http://www.charmcitykettlebells.com/...hs-in-on-whey/

Myoplex? Optimum Whey? Syncra Six? Spiru-tein? Primal Fuel?

Calgon, take me away!

Stevoreo is offline Senior Member
    Awesome article, I have cut out protein powders. I transitioned to Tony Gonzalez's "Grass fed Whey" a while but no matter what brand or kind you get their are a million ingredients. I am so sick of the list of crap added to everything, now I train fasted and 45 minutes later eat a pound of grass fed ground beef with onions, mushrooms, etc......Real food is the way to go!

Stevoreo is offline Senior Member
    I am definitely going to try his beef broth idea, sounds good

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Wow. He said it way better than I could. Here I've been comparing the stuff to sugar. I was wrong. The protein class equivalent of HFCS. Bingo.

Gordo

mgdpublic is offline Junior Member
    That article doesn't make any good arguments against whey protein. I'm not saying good arguments don't exist (though I haven't seen any)--just that the cited article doesn't make any. Just because whey protein is considered a waste product by producers of cheese doesn't make whey protein "garbage." Just because some low grade whey powders come from China doesn't mean that all whey proteins are bad.

rrweather is offline Junior Member
    I've been happy with Primal Fuel. I use it as a snack or a meal replacement, not as a post-workout protein load. The ingredients are a lot easier to understand and it tastes good enough to drink without loading up extra stuff just to get it down.

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    IMO, it's very much a matter of what brand you buy - they don't need to have 'a million ingredients' at all. That kind usually tastes absolutely crap and so artificial and chemical-ish and oversweet it makes you gag.

However, the whey protein I use is simply 100% whey protein from grass-fed AU/NZ cows milk, no pesticides, herbicides or GMO whatevers. Same brand but flavoured version = added organic cocoa and a touch of xylitol. Delish.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    No, the point is that it isn't food. It has no nutritional value whatsoever and replaces real food, which does, as a protein source. Why aren't you getting all of your carbs from sugar and all of your fat from coconut oil?

Same reason.

Gordo

Dagny is offline Member
    I replaced my post-workout shake with a hard boiled egg, stick with real food.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Protein powders are HIGHLY processed "foods." To my knowledge, the processing of most commercial whey goes something like this:

Raw milk --> pasteurization --> homogenization --> cheese/yogurt --> pasteurized liquid whey --> baking/dehydrating --> chemical treatment --> protein powder

Whey is already a very fragile protein, so I wouldn't consider whey protein powders a healthy option in any situation.