Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol in Social Events page

Jonesy is offline Junior Member

Alcohol in Social Events

Shop Now
    Hello all.

I have found myself with somewhat of a mental dilemma. I am a 21 year old member of the military and as such find many social events have a large emphasis on alcohol consumption. I, personally, enjoy a couple of beers but I am contemplating cutting down to 1 a week to aid my primal lifestyle (on top of the other negatives of liquid grains). My dilemma arises with the assumed notion that alcohol will be consumed in large quantities at these events and the mild alienation that comes with not being 'inebriated'. How would you approach this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Martin

john_solo is offline Senior Member
    Nurse the same drink for a long time. I know what it's like in the military, so I'm going to be the last one to tell you to try to take a stand and not drink, just try to not over-indulge and only on occasion.

emmie is online now Senior Member
    Hi Martin-

I am an old woman, not a young man, so my take on this may not be helpful. But when I feel social pressure to eat or drink in a way that is contrary to how I choose, I ask myself, "If you were diabetic, would you let people pressure you to eat sugar?" Or "If you were a recovering alcoholic, would you allow people to insist you have a drink?"

Sometimes we discount the importance of the way we choose to eat/drink, but I consider it a choice for my health, and if I feel pressure to imbibe something that I regard as hazardous to my health, I find a way to refuse. Think about it--if they're all 'inebriated,' they probably won't notice that you're not:-)

runman1954 is offline Member
    This points to how integrated alcohol is in our daily lives. I'm 56 and alcohol has become less of an issue with me, however, there are still times when I'm out with buddies and we're having several beers. I have learned to nurse my beer longer and drink slowly. On occasion I will let loose a little and not think about it as much. Kinda depends on what's going on. I try not to drink more then one sometimes two nights during the week.

Jonesy is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for your replies. All very helpful.

I can take the inevitable 'banter' that comes with refusing to drink alcohol. What concerns me more is once people have accepted the fact, they would be less inclined to invite me along to certain events. I would lose out on a lot of important social opportunities and, as anyone who as worked in a team environment before will know, struggle to be an accepted member of the group (socially).

I believe the best course of action is to reduce intake but not altogether remove alcohol from my diet. Maybe target other alcoholic drinks that have less of a carb influence. Any recommendations?

Martin

GrockinOut is offline Senior Member
    if you can IF check this out!
    it works

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/tru...nd-muscle.html

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I hesitate to recommend mixing drinks (been there, not pretty!), but how about cultivating a like for a brandy or whisky, on the rocks, and nurse that? The only drawback being the % compared to beer.
    I think if you can join in the banter etc of the fellow drunks whilst not being drunk yourself, they won't even notice what you have in your glass. The "problem" arises if you don't drink and are then a party pooper.

Kilian is offline Senior Member
    I know this might not be attainable in your situation but if they cant accept your lifestyle choices, maybe you should find a new crowd.

jspradley is offline Senior Member
    Just be the DD.

Dagny is offline Member
    If you want to be sneaky about it, you could take a can, go to the bathroom, empty the can down the sink, and fill the can with water, and you can refill the same can as many times as you like throughout the night. That way they can see you drinking beer, but you have the advantage of not actually drinking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast