Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anxiety/dread page

jammies is offline Senior Member

anxiety/dread

Shop Now
    Hello all;

I have been primal for about 5 months - with pretty much amazing success. In the last two weeks or so I have been having a somewhat frequent, unpleasant sensation of what I would say is a mixture between anxiety and a little dread.

I know not everything is diet related, but in general I am really a VERY laid back, roll with the punches kind of girl.....even when life gets hairy. So I am wondering if this could be related to diet?

I did start supplementing with methyl B12 and adding marrow to my diet a few weeks ago - improved my energy so I would hate to give it up. I don't think that should be a contributor?

Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance.

slacker is offline Senior Member
    Have you upped your D? Getting enough D is important. But, sometimes when you up your D and start absorbing your calcium better you'll find you are short of magnesium. Nerviness is a low magnesium symptom. You can try two teaspoons of Epsom salts in a pint of water if you want a quick response. Yes, it tastes awful. Search Mark's posts and the forums for recommendations on regular magnesium supplementation.

You can also absorb magnesium from Epsom salts it through your skin. Dissolve two cups of it in your bath and soak in it.

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    I'd be quite surprised if it was diet-related, personally. Wifey and myself have both suffered from anxiety issues in the past (due to traumatic events, not diet or mediation etc) and taking Vit D has had no exacerbating effect on either of us. Oh, and I don't eat bananas.

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    Is there a way to track when you are experiencing these bouts? Maybe there is a connection to something in your life that you're avoiding without knowing it?

Also, did you add a general B complex vitamin? B12 is awesome for energy, but a b complex is known as the stress buster.
    SW: 235
    CW:220
    Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
    Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
    Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
    Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Jammies: Have you lost a whole lot of weight? When that's the case, this anxiety popping up is common. Losing the protection, feeling exposed.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Oh my gosh....so many amazing suggestions !

@ slacker - I do take a ton of vitamin D and have for a while, but I have been much more lax than usual with my Mg supplement. I usually do a few sprays of Mg oil every night - it has sort of slipped to a couple times a week. I will up my Mg right away. I have also been out of potassium for a while, just got more this morning......maybe I just need more Mg and potassium!!!

@to primal fist - I am very open to this possibility. I have had a lot of change and my dog has been sick, so it is possible. It is just quite out of character for me, so I want to pursue all roads.

@elorajade - I will start paying closer attention to when to if there is some type of emotional trigger. I only started B12 - not the other B vitamins. I have noticed I am losing a LOT of hair, maybe I do need some of the other B vitamins. I'll look in to that too.

@Tigerlily - I have lost around 30lbs, putting me in at a pretty decent weight for the first time in many years. On top of that, I have spent the majority of my adult life exhausted (hence the name "jammies"...I used to live in them!), and now suddenly have some energy. I think you are right that I am feeling a little strange and vulnerable because of these things. I have been thinking I need to "rejoin" society and start going out and expanding my universe and dare I say it.....start dating again . I feel like I should be over the top ecstatic about this - but I guess there is some pressure associated with this move. I will try to relax a little about and just let things take their course.....maybe that will help.

Thanks so much to everyone for these amazing insights.....you people are darn smart

yestolife is offline Junior Member
    My vote is for the B12.

I had to experiment to determine this but it was profound and nasty anxiety. Removed it and the anxiety disappeared.

Actually, I have paradoxical effects from most supplements that are touted as anti anxiety or relaxing. PIsses me off too!

Kay Exeye is offline Senior Member
    all i can say is that within 3-4 days of taking magnesium regularly i have gone from having 1-2 panic attacks a day to having only minor anxiety twice in the last month. so i will definitely say to up your mag and see if that makes a difference.

Acteon is offline Senior Member
    There is an article on this forum about how Omega 3's help with the mood reduce the risk of depression.

pdubbs is offline Junior Member

Carb intake

Sometimes low blood sugar can cause this. So if your body was used to higher amounts of blood sugar when you were not following paleo/primal diet, and now that you are paleo, could be a factor. For me, I can't even fathom how I was able to ingest so many carbs each day. I could easily consume 150 gms of carbs per meal when now, I hardly get 150 for the whole day. Look up hypoglycemia symptoms. Plus carbs are naturally relaxing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast