Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lard page

healthy11 is offline Senior Member

Lard

Shop Now
    I am having a hard time with figuring out how to buy lard and even tried to find it on US Wellness Meats website. I don't want to make it. Can someone steer me in the right direction? Thank you.

Sorry ...I'm sure this has been posted a million times, but I can't seem to figure it out.

Eatmydust is offline Senior Member
    ask your local meat department in your grocery store, most carry it or will order it.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Granted, it is out of stock at the moment: http://www.grasslandbeef.com/Detail.bok?no=878

But they do have lamb: http://www.grasslandbeef.com/Detail.bok?no=719

From what I can see lard is only from pigs, rendered or raw same term for pig fat. US Wellness does not carry it.

Tallow is rendered from mutton or beef suet.

I would personally beware the source of supermarket brands, usually next to the butter. A good butcher might put you on to a better source.

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    Sorry to thread jack - but if I wanted to render my own lard, how much fat would I need to start with? To say, fill a large mason jar or 2 or 3?

jennf is offline Senior Member
    Also look at smaller neighborhood markets or ethnic markets. They are more likely to carry such things and, if they don't, they are more likely to order it if you ask them.

As a matter of fact, I just bought my first package of lard just this last week. It's from my neighborhood market and they said they started carrying it because so many people were looking for it.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Be cautious of shelf-stable lard, though. Not so good.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

walkingbird is offline Member
    Sorry to thread jack - but if I wanted to render my own lard, how much fat would I need to start with? To say, fill a large mason jar or 2 or 3?
    You can start with any amount, but the more you render, the longer it would take and the more involved the process. One pound of fat yields about 12 oz of lard. I just blogged about rendering lard by the way, if it's any help. Mine turned out purrrfect.

http://ancestralfire.wordpress.com/2...o-render-lard/
    Last edited by walkingbird; 01-29-2011 at 10:24 AM.
    By The Ancestral Fire - insights and opinions regarding primal living.

As a friend once said, "Bacon is the Journey of food. You may pretend to hate it, but secretly you still love it."

Acteon is offline Senior Member
    Why don't you just use Bacon Fat ?

walkingbird is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Acteon View Post
    Why don't you just use Bacon Fat ?
    Lard is basically tasteless, pure, and bacon fat tastes like.. well, bacon fat. Good for flavoring though.
    By The Ancestral Fire - insights and opinions regarding primal living.

As a friend once said, "Bacon is the Journey of food. You may pretend to hate it, but secretly you still love it."

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Just back from the supermarket. Armour makes the brand next to the butter, aka manteca in Spanish, and it does include hydrogenated lard as an ingredient.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast