Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you handle the naysayers, family, overweight relatives, etc. page

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member

How do you handle the naysayers, family, overweight relatives, etc.

Primal Fuel
    I live in "the South"...home of fried chicken, fried cornbread...fried everything. My family is the perfect picture of how you should not eat, yet apparently I'm the one with the problem. They are telling me I'm too skinny, I need grains, grains are good for me, I'm going to go into ketosis and die, I look "sunk in", etc. It's getting really old. I love Paleo, I feel good, I eat very well and probably more than I ever did before when I was trying to "maintain" at a much higher bodyfat percentage and weight. Yes, I'm still getting thinner, but I've only been Paleo for two weeks. Two wonderful happy weeks...with some lethargic times thrown in but that's to be expected...mostly happy two weeks. I told them to give me time, and I would put on some muscle. I accidentally threw out my back three days ago, and like I said before, I've been sooooo tired from adjusting that I haven't felt able to workout just yet. They are impatient and want to see me either bulk up or down the grains. What can I do?

And please don't tell me to "stand up to them", "tell them it's your body", etc. I work with my parents. It's not going to work cause they are stubborn, and I have to get along with them. The other family I can handle because I don't see them on a daily basis, but it's still annoying. I've tried approaching them with some science, but all I get back is "well doctor (blank) says you need brown rice, whole wheat pasta, blah blah blah. To top it all off, I feel like my mom is hurting my grandad. He is a diabetic, and she is his only caregiver. His blood sugar went through the roof this past month and through some coaxing from me she pulled out all of his grainy carbs except for his morning cereal. I couldn't get her to budge on that one. He was put on another medicine and finally his numbers came down. I tried to tell her it was the diet not the meds, but now she's saying that the doctor says he needs carbs, and he hasn't been looking well to her. So back on the carbs he goes.

It just seems like an uphill battle. Sorry for the long rant, but it's discouraging emotionally. Thanks for any help.

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Tell them to give you 3 months and see the results? Other than that, all I can think of is "smile and nod"... let it all wash over you and past you, then carry on what you were going to do anyway.

Good luck to you.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Show them the before/after pix thread. Every one that I've converted has been because of that thread.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    first, with your parents, just be clear and make a boundary. "Hey, yeah, i know ya'll love me and want me to be healthy, and i appreciate that. but, i'm a grown woman now, and i'm not really asking for your opinion or input on this matter. i know the level of fitness and health that i want, and i am doing what i want to do to make that happen. i'm happy with this lifestyle, and i'm going to do it until i'm not happy with it anymore. so, please, no more comments or advice about my weight, diet, etc. thanks."

for everyone else, i just use a "pass the dip" process. "well, you know you NEED grains." and i respond with "oh, i've heard that, please pass the dip." and then change the subject or something. i usually ask them about themselves. so, "oh yes, i've heard that. What about your test you took last week, how was that? i was praying for you. OH, and please pass the dip."

Mandolin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    i was praying for you. Oh, and please pass the dip."
    lol

LOL...you crack me up zoebird. That's awesome. I think if I tried to do that, though, I would have to carry around a bowl of dip with me all the time cause that's about how often it comes up lol.

Tigerlily, they think that those people on the before/after thread are still "unhealthy" because you "need" grains. And they also believe Atkins was the devil, so even though I tried to spend some time telling them difference, it didn't really matter. All they heard was Atkins, Atkins, Atkins. I have a stubborn family lol.

I have some good news from last night to help me out however.....my husband told me he completely supported me! Yay! Now if I can just get him to jump on the bandwagon.

Grizz is offline Banned
    GoldenSparrow,

You are one really cute chick ! Hmmmmm. . . .

People are so completely BRAINWASHED by the constant bombardment of Conventional Wisdom on our News Media Propaganda that it is nearly impossible to convince others that you are right and they are wrong. Big Food, Big Pharma & the Medical Profession don't want anyone to eat healthy. It is bad for business, and THAT is why the FDA & the American Diabetes Assn promotes the UNHEALTHY Food Pyramid. It is all about MONEY, HONEY ! Make you sickly & keep you sickly to keep those waiting rooms & hospital beds filled. Work the System for MAX profit at YOUR expense.

Show them some of the links I have from Cardiologist Dr. Wm Davis ( below ) and just tell them that you are on Doctors Orders to eat the Paleo Diet you are on. It is true that Dr. Davis does promote the book, "The Paleo Solution." He also prescribes the zero grain, zero sugars diet to all of his patients. Your family won't listen to us, but they just might listen to a successful cardiologist.
    http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/

Best to you,
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 01-29-2011 at 04:11 AM.

Thanks for that Grizz! I will definitely check out the link. I've been looking for some good solid research to back up my way of thinking.

It's only until recently I've begun following your line of thinking...doctors and pharms are out to make money....just like you said. I was hoping it wasn't true, and they still had some heart left in them, but lately I don't think that is the case. Try convincing someone else that is sickly that is the case tho....they'll practically slap you. "Of course, I need twenty medications! There's nothing I can do about that." Psh. I'm guessing only 10% of all people actually need medicine for something, and the rest can be controlled through their nutrition. Sad thing is...I used to be one of those people that would've slapped ya lol. Not anymore...I'm fixing to pull off my last "med", which is OTC Prilosec for my acid reflux. I'm hoping my gut will heal itself enough to do it soon as I've already seen such amazing benefits from doing Paleo only two weeks!

Well keep on "preaching the word" haha!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    There is much in the traditional southern diet that is good. Greens, yams with real butter, chicken cooked with the skin on, food cooked with bacon fat. Perhaps you could find common ground on some things. Beyond that, I offer my standard advice.http://pbexplorer.wordpress.com/selling-pb/
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you'll quit trying to persuade people, you'll no longer make it a subject of conversation. It's no ones business but your own what you eat and how you eat.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast