Thread: Quick question about burpees and general question about PBF page

magnus84 is offline Member

Quick question about burpees and general question about PBF

Shop Now
    I'm sure this has been asked before, but do burpees count as sprinting? This past Monday, for my sprint, I attempted max-speed burpees in a tabata protocol but crapped out in the second set. I wasn't prepared for how much juice it would take out of me. So after catching my breath I set my timer to 10 minutes and hit the jump rope at moderate to high intensity with frequent breaks (I've lost a lot of gains and am starting back up again). After the ten minutes, I caught my breath a bit and then did 10 max speed burpees.

So I did:
    10-15 burpees
    10 minutes moderate-high intensity jump rope (if I'm honest with myself, 4-5 of those minutes were probably spent at rest)
    10 burpees.

Does this constitute/count as a sprint session?

My next question is about PBF. Does anyone who follows the PBF do more than prescribed? Is it ill advised? Basically, if I find I really like the ass-kickery of burpees for example, can I do them every morning?
    Not done yet...

rrweather is offline Junior Member
    I believe the intent of sprints is to complete some sort of interval-type workout. Heart rate up, down, up, down. Assuming that, I would think burpees (or any other exercise using your large muscles) would count if you did them at a high intensity for a short period of time--followed by a rest interval. I also think any exercise (burpees included) that you utilize your own body weight as the "resistance" is a huge benefit. As much as I love riding my bike, the bike gets stuck holding my weight. When I run, my legs have to hold me up. Burpees are an exercise I love to hate. They are awesome but I hate doing them because they hurt, which makes them awesome!

I've been doing interval training on and off over the last year, mostly running. It has really helped me a lot. I take an Air Force PT test every 6 months. Included in the test is a 1.5 mile run. The intervals have helped shave 30 seconds off my run time every 6 months.

I'm only three weeks into my primal transformation so take what I say with a grain of salt...the consensus with exercise seems to be "if you enjoy it, do it..." I think the important thing is not to do burpees until you throw up because you think you need to. If you really like them and consider it "fun," burp away!

magnus84 is offline Member
    Thanks for the input. That's kind of what I thought.
    Not done yet...