Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: College student in need of snack ideas page 2

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Enamel View Post
    Avocados are nice and portable, you've just gotta keep a spoon or something handy. (And I guess you'd have to eat the whole thing at once, since you can refrigerate it.)
    Awe....shucks! I love 1/2 an avocado with a spoonful of salsa in the middle.

Buttercup is offline Senior Member
    When I first went PB, I worried about what I could snack on, so I stocked up on nuts and veggie chips. But after getting into the swing of things, I hardly ever need a snack. So my question to you is: Are you getting enough fat in your meals? Make sure you're eating enough at mealtime, which I imagine in college can be somewhat difficult. Also make sure you're not finishing meals up all the time with fruit or other sweets. It can send your insulin up, even just a little, and make you think you're hungry.

As for those rare times I do need something? I carry around a baggie full of macadamia nuts and coconut chips, very tasty together. (I know you asked for something besides nuts, but there it is!)

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RexBear View Post
    Dark chocolate covered ginger. I have gotten it at Whole Foods and other groceries in the bulk section.
    whoa that sounds tasty, gonna look for that next time i'm there!

Kaytoo is offline Member
    I just discovered the best snack/dessert/breakfast ever, which is: pour some frozen blueberries (preferably wild organic ones; they're pretty cheap at Trader Joe's) into a teacup or small bowl, pour heavy whipping cream (preferably raw/organic, I'm sure, but I just had the normal kind from TJ's) in until it reaches the same level as the berries. Stir it around for about a minute (eating while you go, if necessary). The cream will turn purple and thicken as the blueberries defrost a bit--it tastes like half-melted ice cream, but better.

Granted, this only works if you're into both fruit and dairy, but from what I understand, blueberries and heavy cream are on the more favorable end of each respective category. Coconut milk would probably also be good, but there's just something about real cream...

Kaytoo is offline Member
    I also just realized that you said you don't have a fridge, which would make frozen things difficult... unless you go the ice box method!

b4ds33d is offline Member
    poor college students don't shop at whole foods.

amg0703 is offline Junior Member

The ghetto hotdog

Quote Originally Posted by mpanter View Post
    Hi everybody,
    I'm trying to come up with some snack ideas outside of the usual nuts/jerky/dried fruit. I'm a poor college student without a fridge, but I'm looking for something a little different. Does anyone have any ideas for stuff I can get from Whole Foods or something and eat without a ton of preparation? Thanks very much!
    Here is an easy idea for a recipe that can easily be mad in a dorm room: The Ghetto Hot Dog | College Food | Fiesta Frog Blog | House Party , Night Life and College News

spngebobmyhero is offline Junior Member
    you could get some kalamata olives and put them in olive oil and they will be stable at room temp and yummy Also, I like those seaweed snacks that health food stores have, particularly the wasabi flavored ones

bikeirguy is offline Member
    Lots of great ideas here - my little contribution is that there are some shelf stable anchovies (Omega 3s and salty goodness!) available. Be careful - not all are shelf stable...
    Kevin

Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives.
    William James
    US Pragmatist philosopher & psychologist (1842 1910)

Sanctus Real is offline Senior Member
    I know your pain all too well! I lived in a dorm where fridges weren't allowed back in the day, and it pretty much sucked. Though I wasn't primal back then (1992 -- yikes, I'm old!), my go-to snack actually was, now that I think about it. A can of tuna, mixed with a little EVOO and red wine vinegar. Now that we know cans may not be the best way to store our food, you can always get those tuna pouches to keep on hand.
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast