Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Critique my Leangains plan please? As a B-day present?

Hybrid View

Critique my Leangains plan please? As a B-day present?

Hey everyone,

I've been lurking around on Leangains for a while now, and I'm really interested in giving the principals a try. I'm already a super IF-er, so it really shouldn't be hard for me. The only problem is that no matter how much I read, I feel like the blog is kind of all over the place, so I still get confused about some of the guidelines.

I'm planning on switching to some kind of a modified Leangains lifestyle. Here are the guidelines I'm setting for myself. If anyone, especially a Leangains veteran, can critique them I'd be really appreciative! I plan on journaling each day of my experience in detail, so if this works well for me others can benefit!

To start, here are some stats:

I'm a 23 (24 tomorrow!) year old woman, and I fluctuate between 117 and 123 lbs. I keep gaining and losing the same 5 lbs over and over again. I've been following a primal lifestyle since around November, and with each week it becomes easier.

I am REALLY bad with measuring with calipers, but I can safely say that I am probably ~100 lbs lean muscle and ~ 20 lbs fat (boo).

My primary goal is fat loss to lean out - I went from pudgey to skinny-fat with a little belly pooch, and I'd love to lose a couple inches around my stomach. Gaining muscle is of course a close second and will soon become the priority.

So here are the principals I'm looking to follow -

NUTRITION

1) During the morning fast, nothing will be consumed except for water, herbal tea,
    and possibly a cup of coffee with half and half (1-2 TB). I usually drink my coffee around noon.

2) Fast until noon. At noon, a cup of coffee with half and half will be probably be consumed (if not consumed earlier).

3) The fast will be broken between 1:30 and 2:00 PM with lunch. Lunch is either a bigass salad with meat or a good piece of meat with green vegetables.

4) Dinner is eaten between 6:00 and 6:30. 99% of the time Dinner is a good piece of meat with green vegetables.

5) After Dinner, the remaining calories and protein needed for the day will be eaten as Martin's Protein Fluff or Greek Yogurt with a few berries.

6) I will eat about 100 grams of protein every day - 1 gram per lb of lean bodyweight. I'm a little confused about other macronutrient ratios. And should I be eating more protein?

FITNESS

7) I will continue to do a combination of Power Yoga, Pilates (with a pilates machine), and bodyweight exercises (push ups, pull ups, squats) 3-4 times a week.

8) Kettle bell swings as a form of sprinting once a week

9) I will take BCAA before working out and 20 g additional BCAA after working out (as outlined in the Leangains Guide)

10) Resume current schedule of moving slowly a lot all day

**I don't want to do the typical "lift heavy things" right now for a few reasons. I enjoy the work outs I am doing now and have no desire to drive to the gym and lift. It's not because I'm afraid of lifting or bulking up - I've lifted before and am just tired of it. That's why I'm going to see if this modified workout schedule works in the term of leangains.**

So that's it! If anyone thinks I'm completely off mark here please let me know! I guess my only last element of confusion is the macronutrient levels - I'm not sure whether to stagger my carb and fat ratios like Martin suggests or just eat primally - 55-70 % fat - all the time. Can any other Primal Leangainers help me out here?

"The Way We Do Anything Is the Way We Do Everything"
    ~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry
    My Leangains/Primal Lifestyle Challenge to begin 2/7/11!
    Check out the Blog for Daily Progress

Happy birthday! Consuming calories (ie. the half-and-half in your coffee) breaks a fast.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    Happy birthday! Consuming calories (ie. the half-and-half in your coffee) breaks a fast.
    Agreed... I could accept 1-2 tsp of heavy cream, but 1-2 tbsp of half-and-half is too much sugar to count as "fasting" in my mind. (I'm convinced that a little bit of fat doesn't really do all that much but carbs are different.)

I'm sure you've read Martin's guide, but in case anyone here hasn't: http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html Based on that guide, I'd think carefully about how your workout will fit in with your meals and how big each meal will be... I'm sure you'll get results regardless, but he's had so many clients with crazy success stories that confirm that his specific plans work. =]

Happy birthday!!
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by mayness View Post
    Agreed... I could accept 1-2 tsp of heavy cream, but 1-2 tbsp of half-and-half is too much sugar to count as "fasting" in my mind. (I'm convinced that a little bit of fat doesn't really do all that much but carbs are different.)

I'm sure you've read Martin's guide, but in case anyone here hasn't: http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html Based on that guide, I'd think carefully about how your workout will fit in with your meals and how big each meal will be... I'm sure you'll get results regardless, but he's had so many clients with crazy success stories that confirm that his specific plans work. =]

Happy birthday!!
    Yeah, his success stories are sick, so when I stopped to think why I wasn't getting the same results I came to the realization that I'm not really following the Leangains protocol so I should stfu and not complain. I'm going to more seriously implement the advice Martin gives on both workouts and eating style and see what's what.

Thanks for the birthday wishes mayness! Thankfully, after a year of learning how to meticulously analyze macronutrients and such (thanks Tom Venuto and Don Lemmon) I'm pretty good at planning a meal. I've been able to let go of planning my life around my meals since going primal, so I can relax now

~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    Haha thanks! That made me laugh...it was like HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Whomp whommpppp.

Thanks Grumpy Caveman and everyone else who affirmed his point. I swear I read somewhere on Martin's site that he uses up to 1/2 CUP of skim milk, and I saw that and was like SWEET DISREGARD ALL OTHER INFORMATION. I'll wait to drink my coffee - thanks everyone!

~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry

the guy who wrote "EatStopEat" a book all about IF, also wrote a book "how much protein" and CW tells us to eat 1 gram protein to 1 lbs lean mass but that is not true. Your small, you could easily make due with half that or be around 70 grams-ish. Eating more protein does not equal more muscle, the only thing that will really get you more muscle is weight training. Eat what feels right and don't stress that your not getting enough, some days you'll eat more than you need, other days you won't but it'll usually all work out.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzychan5 View Post
    the guy who wrote "EatStopEat" a book all about IF, also wrote a book "how much protein" and CW tells us to eat 1 gram protein to 1 lbs lean mass but that is not true. Your small, you could easily make due with half that or be around 70 grams-ish. Eating more protein does not equal more muscle, the only thing that will really get you more muscle is weight training. Eat what feels right and don't stress that your not getting enough, some days you'll eat more than you need, other days you won't but it'll usually all work out.
    Thanks for the advice - I usually average between 80 and 100 grams a day. About half a year ago, when I wash I following Conventional Bodybuilding Wisdom I was eating upwards of 135 grams a day. Oof. I'll just have to see what happens an tweak while I go

~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry

So I just wanted to point out that in Martin's intro to Leangains, he says that coffee with 1/2-1 teaspoons of milk won't hurt. 1-2 tablespoons is 3-6x this amount. Still not a huge amount of calories, but it's worth noting.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the Leangains approach presupposes resistance training (i.e., lifting heavy things), so I don't know how it would work if you're not doing that kind of exercise. I mean, the plan specifically differentiates between workout days (3x a week) and non-workout days (4x a week) and you alter your macronutrient ratio depending on which day it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Melantha View Post
    So I just wanted to point out that in Martin's intro to Leangains, he says that coffee with 1/2-1 teaspoons of milk won't hurt. 1-2 tablespoons is 3-6x this amount. Still not a huge amount of calories, but it's worth noting.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the Leangains approach presupposes resistance training (i.e., lifting heavy things), so I don't know how it would work if you're not doing that kind of exercise. I mean, the plan specifically differentiates between workout days (3x a week) and non-workout days (4x a week) and you alter your macronutrient ratio depending on which day it is.
    Hi Melantha,

I've been doing Leangains for quite a while (6+ month). However, one of the problems I'm having is finding something from Martin that shows what percentages my Macronutrient Ratios should be. You said above that you saw somethin from Martin on his site? I can't find it to save my life. I'm eating around 3600 cal on workout days. It is pretty hard to get 50-60% of my calories for protein on those days. Any light you can shed would be awesome. Thank you