Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Critique my Leangains plan please? As a B-day present? page 3

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Primalvore View Post
    iniQuity -

Woah. Really. Thank you so much for all of the valuable information!

Yes, I would be doing fasted workouts in the morning. Thankfully, I do well with this.

I have been hard pressed to find Martin's info on actual training. Again, I have a hard time navigating that site. The reverse pyramid sounds very interesting - it might actually convince me to pick up real weights again.

I'm also now pushing towards adding the starchy carbs for workout days. I'll probably take mine in the form of winter squash. Nom.

Hey iniQuity - if you're planning on going hardcore leangains let me know and maybe we can learn a little from one another!
    I do want to go hardcore Leangains but I have too many fat boy tendencies. The funny thing is Martin is not about hardcore paleo or primal at all. He routinely eats entire cheesecakes and his success stories are all about "real" people that want to eat whatever and still get lean. Though most do seem to pay attention to nutrition but when you're eating less frequently it makes sense to.

Martin has a book coming out so understandably he doesn't share much for free anymore. I'm quite certain that he tells his clients to just hit basic compound lifts like deadlift, squat, bench press, etc as well as dips and pull ups. Its a keep it simple and heavy approach. The only problem with this is not everyone will actually want to do those lifts. I love bodyweight training. I find a beauty in it (don't laugh) in slowly learning how to learn to control and master your body, etc. A lot of strength can be achieved with body weight as well. It can just be hard to measure sometimes.

Speaking of bodyweight training. I was just thinking that in the absence of weights you can still train in a reverse pyramid by playing with leverage. I don't know your strength level but if we took the same example as before, pull ups, without using external loads it could look like this: first set regular pull ups, second set leg assisted pull ups, last set bodyweight rows. Something like that. If that progression is too easy your first set could be one arm assisted pull ups then second set normal pull ups and so on. You better be doing some pull ups haha it will give you nice and defined arms and back. Best of luck. Keep us posted on your progress. I think you don't have much to lose but a few months of Leangains should do it.

Primalvore is offline Senior Member
    iniQuity -

Yea, I was wondering why many people knew about more detailed aspects of leangains - I'm excited about the prospect of a book!

I am very fortunate to have a pretty extensive home gym. I've done the big types of compound lifting before, but I probably need to read up on it again and formulate a plan for myself. My go-to equipment includes a fillable kettlebell (right now I only have 35 lbs worth of weight to fill it with) and a Pull Up Station/Powerstand, which I ironically received for my birthday last year! Around that time, I was talking about one of those pull up bars that hooks around the top of a door frame (I had one but sold it with my P90X system) and my father must have heard me - instead he got me the friggen piece of gym equipment! It's pretty awesome .

Has anyone heard of Don Lemmon? I'm going to revisit the principals in his series of books. He also advocates meal separating (ie keeping either carbs OR fat high in a meal), which I've done before so that should be easy enough. I think either Don Lemmon or Al Sears (PACE) will help me figure out something out pretty quickly.

"I do want to go hardcore Leangains but I have too many fat boy tendencies." - Um...fat boy tendencies? Ha - did I mention that I'm going to be cataloging this experience on my blog, which was originally started to put up recipes for the monthly baking challenge group I'm a part of? Haha I've actually made most everything Primal, much to the sugar and flour lovers chagrin .

But seriously - I've seen his stuff about eating cheesecakes. It pisses me off, considering I'm someone who will eat Primally all week and then have, like, ONE carefully planned cookie and my body decides to turn it into 5 lbs of fat and water gain. I can only hope that if people are getting that cut not really paying attention to what they are eating than hopefully those of us who are eating all the right foods will benefit on a faster or greater scale!
    Last edited by Primalvore; 01-29-2011 at 01:45 PM.

"The Way We Do Anything Is the Way We Do Everything"
    ~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry
    My Leangains/Primal Lifestyle Challenge to begin 2/7/11!
    Check out the Blog for Daily Progress

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    5) After Dinner, the remaining calories and protein needed for the day will be eaten as Martin's Protein Fluff or Greek Yogurt with a few berries.
    I would advise against dairy and fruit before going to bed. If you really want to fit this in - eat it in your post workout meal (which is the largest of the day) - the insulin spike from the fructose will not be a big deal. HOWEVER I would advise you add some heavy lifts to your exercise regime: dead lifts and back squats.

your body fat estimate sounds too low - have you read this yet? I would guess your BF% to be closer to 20, 21%.

congratulations btw - if you are playing with lean gains then you are upwards of 85% of your goal
    Last edited by TheFastCat; 01-30-2011 at 05:32 AM.
    ad astra per aspera

Quote Originally Posted by TheFastCat View Post
    I would advise against dairy and fruit before going to bed. If you really want to fit this in - eat it in your post workout meal (which is the largest of the day) - the insulin spike from the fructose will not be a big deal. HOWEVER I would advise you add some heavy lifts to your exercise regime: dead lifts and back squats.

your body fat estimate sounds too low - have you read this yet? I would guess your BF% to be closer to 20, 21%.

congratulations btw - if you are playing with lean gains then you are upwards of 85% of your goal
    Thanks TheFastCat! I've decided to start lifting heavier again, so I'm reviewing all of my prior lifting information. And I love me some deadlifts

I'll heed your advice about the fruit and dairy, too - I was actually a little worried about having so much dairy, but I only eat about 1-2 oz of Greek Yogurt and really use it as a vehicle for my Salba (Chia Seeds). Two things I've learned in the past - I can't live without Salba and sprinkling it on salads is a NO-GO. Beyuch. I've yet to figure out another way to eat it.

And interesting about the BF % - I retested myself today and tried really hard not to cheat (IE pinch too hard or grab the wrong roll) and I ended up with 21%. So I'm probably somewhere between 20-22%

And thanks for the congrats! I'm really excited about this. I hope I can reach some really impressive goals and be able to help others with this experience/lifestyle change

~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I find a beauty in it (don't laugh) in slowly learning how to learn to control and master your body, etc. A lot of strength can be achieved with body weight as well.
    i agree with that 100%!!! i am the same way

Quote Originally Posted by MalPaz View Post
    i agree with that 100%!!! i am the same way
    I agree with this too! This is actually why I started doing ashtanga yoga and pilates, because after years of lifting (incorrectly) and getting tight muscles and neckaches and just feeling sh*tty, I finally started to be in touch with how my body moves. I can't wait to apply that to correct lifting form. I'm really excited to start building strength enough to do handstand pushups and insane stuff like that.

Mal - you are such a freakin inspiration. I've been reading your blog and, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you gain a ton of strength just within the last 6 months or so?

~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry

Hey everyone! Quick update -

I spent the week "detoxing" after the birthday blowout (basically just low-carbed it for a few days). I also have, for the past 7 days, started the Leangains-style of fasting by ending my meals at 8:30 PM every night and fasting until 12 PM or 1 PM the next day. I've been drinking tea in the morning and have avoided coffee & cream.

Tomorrow I officially begin my Leangains/Primal Training Protocol. I've taken all of your great advice and updated the specifics of my plan (which can be viewed here) and posted my initial "before" pics and stats (which can be viewed here).

I'll be updating the blog daily (hopefully!) with my daily eats and moves. Follow along and see me get friggen ripped - or join me and get beach-ready by summer!

~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry

JMac is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Melantha View Post
    So I just wanted to point out that in Martin's intro to Leangains, he says that coffee with 1/2-1 teaspoons of milk won't hurt. 1-2 tablespoons is 3-6x this amount. Still not a huge amount of calories, but it's worth noting.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the Leangains approach presupposes resistance training (i.e., lifting heavy things), so I don't know how it would work if you're not doing that kind of exercise. I mean, the plan specifically differentiates between workout days (3x a week) and non-workout days (4x a week) and you alter your macronutrient ratio depending on which day it is.
    Hi Melantha,

I've been doing Leangains for quite a while (6+ month). However, one of the problems I'm having is finding something from Martin that shows what percentages my Macronutrient Ratios should be. You said above that you saw somethin from Martin on his site? I can't find it to save my life. I'm eating around 3600 cal on workout days. It is pretty hard to get 50-60% of my calories for protein on those days. Any light you can shed would be awesome. Thank you

Isis is offline Senior Member
    hi primalvore, how did you go on leangains since? did you end up experimenting with which macro ratios to apply? I'm thinking of trying leangains too...
    My primal journal
    25yo female, height 5'7"
    goal weight: 60kg / 155lb
    goal fat%: 20%

current weight: 70kg / 154lb

“The fact that a great many people believe something is no guarantee of its truth.”
    ― W. Somerset Maugham

primalryza is offline Junior Member
    I'm following your journey! I started a lean gains style program a little over a week ago. I found a recipe somewhere for figuring out a "cut" lean gains style. So my plan in M-W-F lifting (reverse pyramid), and M-W-F are high carb low fat and higher calorie (BMR + 10% is what it is supposed to be but so far I haven't gotten over 1900 cal which is supposedly my BMR). T-Th-Sa-Su are rest/slow movement days, and I try to get a walk or hike in on most of these days. Usually I end up with one total rest day. I also have one day a week that I sprint, and I usually do it on a lift day so that my recovery includes recovery from sprinting. I might be messing things up by doing that, but I like to sprint. Food on rest/slow movement days means higher fat/low carb and lower calories (the site I found recommended BMR-35-40%) so for me that is between 1200-1300 cal. So far so good, I am consistently gaining strength and my pants are looser. My challenges are getting enough calories and carbs on workout days, and then of course on the other hand not going over calories or carbs on my rest days...lol. Good luck with all of this!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast