Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Critique my Leangains plan please? As a B-day present? page 2

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I've been using some of the Leangains principles for a while now. First I tried staying low carb but increasing calories on workout days via heavy cream. I gained some muscle, but a good deal of fat too. Then I tried actually following the recommendation to up the carbs and keep past low on workout days. This worked somewhat better I think, but still some fat gain. I think I was way overeating on total calories though. I think your plan sounds pretty solid. I agree with iniquity that you should give it a shot and if it doesn't work as well as you'd like, try the carb/calorie cycling. And lifting weights.

Additional note: I think keeping the fat low when carbs are high is important not just for keeping calories in check, but because fat causes temporary insulin resistance. We all know that carbs + insulin resistance = bad. In the absence of carbs it is beneficial. See this.

Extra-extra note: My experiences thus far have confirmed that Leangains is not a pass to stuff yourself silly and gain only muscle. If you go way overboard on calories, you will still gain fat. There are factors that control how much lean muscle you can build in a given time. If you try to rush the process by stuffing more calories down your throat, they'll just go to your adipose tissue. In the future, I plan to be more controlled in my attempts to gain muscle.
    Last edited by yodiewan; 01-28-2011 at 03:55 PM.

Primalvore is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    Happy birthday! Consuming calories (ie. the half-and-half in your coffee) breaks a fast.
    Haha thanks! That made me laugh...it was like HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Whomp whommpppp.

Thanks Grumpy Caveman and everyone else who affirmed his point. I swear I read somewhere on Martin's site that he uses up to 1/2 CUP of skim milk, and I saw that and was like SWEET DISREGARD ALL OTHER INFORMATION. I'll wait to drink my coffee - thanks everyone!

"The Way We Do Anything Is the Way We Do Everything"
    ~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry
    My Leangains/Primal Lifestyle Challenge to begin 2/7/11!
    Check out the Blog for Daily Progress

Quote Originally Posted by lizzychan5 View Post
    the guy who wrote "EatStopEat" a book all about IF, also wrote a book "how much protein" and CW tells us to eat 1 gram protein to 1 lbs lean mass but that is not true. Your small, you could easily make due with half that or be around 70 grams-ish. Eating more protein does not equal more muscle, the only thing that will really get you more muscle is weight training. Eat what feels right and don't stress that your not getting enough, some days you'll eat more than you need, other days you won't but it'll usually all work out.
    Thanks for the advice - I usually average between 80 and 100 grams a day. About half a year ago, when I wash I following Conventional Bodybuilding Wisdom I was eating upwards of 135 grams a day. Oof. I'll just have to see what happens an tweak while I go

~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry

Thanks for the birthday wishes mayness! Thankfully, after a year of learning how to meticulously analyze macronutrients and such (thanks Tom Venuto and Don Lemmon) I'm pretty good at planning a meal. I've been able to let go of planning my life around my meals since going primal, so I can relax now

~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry

iniQuity -

Woah. Really. Thank you so much for all of the valuable information!

Yes, I would be doing fasted workouts in the morning. Thankfully, I do well with this.

I have been hard pressed to find Martin's info on actual training. Again, I have a hard time navigating that site. The reverse pyramid sounds very interesting - it might actually convince me to pick up real weights again.

I'm also now pushing towards adding the starchy carbs for workout days. I'll probably take mine in the form of winter squash. Nom.

Hey iniQuity - if you're planning on going hardcore leangains let me know and maybe we can learn a little from one another!
    Last edited by Primalvore; 01-28-2011 at 05:10 PM.

~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry

Velocity -

Well, then I must be WRONG, because I am not ridiculously lean haha. I've been measuring the same way for a while now...the wrong way. I'm going to attach pictures after this so people get a better idea of where I am

~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Extra-extra note: My experiences thus far have confirmed that Leangains is not a pass to stuff yourself silly and gain only muscle. If you go way overboard on calories, you will still gain fat. There are factors that control how much lean muscle you can build in a given time. If you try to rush the process by stuffing more calories down your throat, they'll just go to your adipose tissue. In the future, I plan to be more controlled in my attempts to gain muscle.
    I'm glad to hear about your success and also thankful that I should still be cautious about fat gain on this plan. I'm good at tracking my progress so if I start seeing undesirable effects I'm just going to go back to regular old primal eating with occasional IFing.

Fortunately (or, unfortunately) stuffing myself isn't the problem - I often wonder that I don't get enough food. So I need to just monitor and adjust. Thanks!

~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry

PICTURE TIME!

These were taken at the end of last month but I haven't changed much since. So as you can see, I'm not really super lean. I only have, I can assume, about 5-10 lbs of fat to lose? I can't really tell with these things. I have a wonky ribcage on one side - isn't that crazy!? Instead of blacking out my face becuase I look really fug all early in the AM I decided to put on some makeup for you folks. Even though I look like a total creeper I was cracking myself up so I decided to post it anyways.

Don't critique me harshly people.
    Last edited by Primalvore; 01-28-2011 at 05:34 PM.

~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry

animalcule is offline Senior Member
    You look great. Frankly I see no reason to try to change, but whatever floats your boat. Building more muscle is always good for us girls, especially if we're already on the smaller side.

Your belly looks just like mine (and I am underweight) - a little pad around the belly button like that is more a function of nice high female hormones and good fertility than it is too-high body fat, IMO. Embrace the 'pooch' (that's not what I think of when i hear 'pooch' though - I think more of a gut).

Quote Originally Posted by animalcule View Post
    You look great. Frankly I see no reason to try to change, but whatever floats your boat. Building more muscle is always good for us girls, especially if we're already on the smaller side.

Your belly looks just like mine (and I am underweight) - a little pad around the belly button like that is more a function of nice high female hormones and good fertility than it is too-high body fat, IMO. Embrace the 'pooch' (that's not what I think of when i hear 'pooch' though - I think more of a gut).
    Thanks! I appreciate it! Yea, that damned pooch will be the end of me!

My Mum keeps assuring me that it's just something that I'll "have to get lipo-ed out some day". MMPh. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and try and gain some good muscle. If I'm all muscular a year from now with that pointy ribcage and a belly pooch I'm just going to assume the little belly just refuses to be trained off

~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast