Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vit D3 question page

geostump is offline Senior Member

Vit D3 question

Sorry, I'm ADD and if I had more patience I would read through the boards to see if this was posted already, but I don't have that kind of patience.

I've started taking 5k IU's of D3 daily and I am noticing that I do feel better. I am getting over a sinus infection and was wondering while I am still recovering if its ok to double the dosage to 10k IU's? I've noticed that when I take it in the morning, my sinuses feel almost instantly better so was thinking I should take it in the evening before I go to bed. I live in Ohio and its grey about 98% of the time during winter.
    Georgette

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    you can double that without trouble. in fact, one of the recent articles posted on here mentioned--i think--that taking 5k was about the minimum for what levels we ought to have. grizz, cillkat...you guys want to confirm that, or just spank me and tell me to shut up?

Thanks primalrob. Do you think I should break it into 2 doses daily of 5k IU's or just take the whole lot at once? I do wake up fairly stuffy in the middle of the night.
    Georgette

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Yes, fine to take up to 40,000 IUs for a few days. You can take them all at once, or space them out--no difference to your body as D is fat soluble.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    Thanks primalrob. Do you think I should break it into 2 doses daily of 5k IU's or just take the whole lot at once? I do wake up fairly stuffy in the middle of the night.
    i take 10k all at once, but that has more to do laziness, or a moment before i go to bed where i say, "shit, forgot to take the supplements"

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Yes, fine to take up to 40,000 IUs for a few days. You can take them all at once, or space them out--no difference to your body as D is fat soluble.

Thanks so much Dragonfly! I never realized how much better taking this has made me feel! I guess you could say I'm fairly deficient. Thanks again!!
    Georgette

Grizz is offline Banned
    Geostump,

What counts most is your Vitamin D3 Blood test after taking Vitamin D3 for 3 months. You want to see your 25(oh)D blood level at an optimum level of 60 to 70 ng/ml per Cardiologist Dr. Wm Davis, or between 50 to 80 ng/ml per the Vitamin D3 council. Each 1,000 IU change in dosage will result in a 10 ng/ml change in your blood level.

Go ahead and increase your dosage to 10,000 IU daily, as the Vitamin D Council has said there has never been a reported overdose at 10,000 IU Daily. You can take both capsules at the same time.

Vitamin D3 is much more than a vitamin. It is a hormone required for your immune system. It also prevents a whole litany of diseases described below.
    Where to get your blood test & much more below,
    Grizz

jon tall tree is offline Senior Member
    My doctor said my vit D was at 32 so 5000 Iu should be sufficient or do you recommend more?

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jon tall tree View Post
    My doctor said my vit D was at 32 so 5000 Iu should be sufficient or do you recommend more?
    Once you get your blood level between 55 and 65 ng/ml (recommended range by many researchers), you should need only about 1000 IU per 25 lbs of body weight to maintain. You aren't sufficient yet, so would suggest 10,000 IUs for 3 months and then test again.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    jon tall tree,

Your vitamin D blood level was at 32? How much Vitamin D3 were you taking to get that reading? If you had been taking 5,000 IU Daily for at least 2 - 3 months, then you need more to get your blood level to Optimum at 60 to 70 ng/ml.

You need to get from 32 to 62 ng/ml - a change of 30 ng/ml . This will require 3,000 IU Daily of additional Vitamin D3. So if I interpreted what you said correctly then you should be taking 8,000 IU Daily to get your blood level to 62 ng/ml.

Sorry Dragonfly, you and I were replying to jon at the same time...

Dragonfly is also correct, you will just get to the same place by a different route.

For more on Vitamin D3, see my report below,
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 01-28-2011 at 03:20 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast