Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Flu Kit page

Twibble is offline Senior Member

Primal Flu Kit

Primal Fuel
    I'm mildly a preparedness nut, and the idea of pandemic flu is something that scares the $#^*%^$# out of me. I keep the things we might need in a flu kit, but the recent outbreak in Oklahoma, I figured I should re-evaluate it.

The problem?

My flu kit relies heavily on Gatorade and rice for nutrition while sick.

I know chicken broth will have a new home in there, but what else should I put in there for fluid replenishment and nutrition?
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    I'm thinking coconut water would be a good replacement for Gatorade.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    I have a flu kit too. Mine has zinc, vitamin D, and C and Soup. When I feel like I am getting sick I drink the juice from half a lemon squeezed in to some hot water. It works better than any cold medicine for me.

I like the coconut water idea! I'll have to add that to the kit.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    bone broth, ginger lemon tea, crock potted meat.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Huh, I'm surprised -- I had heard we wouldn't have any pandemic this year since the strain hasn't changed much since last year, and so many were exposed or immunized last year. (Of course, an outbreak isn't a pandemic, but still...)

Anyway, yeah, on the bone broth front: you can keep soup bones frozen or even prep the marrow ahead of time, blenderize it, and just freeze/save that to conserve space.

How about coconut milk? Canned, lotta good fat in there, and should be easy on the tummy.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

*nodnod*

Coconut milk, coconut water...what else that would be shelf stable?
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

CANNED bone broth would be shelf stable. So would canned peppers, but I know your heat level excludes those.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Can you buy canned bone broth, or would I have to make it?

Yeah, not going to eat straight canned peppers. At least not any kind that is used in Thai food. Jalapenos are tasty...with bacon and cream cheese.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

You'd need to make it. Easy enough, I can tell you in more detail tonight.
    My Primal Battle Tome

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Go to bed and sweat it out. If you are otherwise healthy it is not that big a deal. Your body should see it once in a while so that it knows what to do when confronted with the virus. Lack of lifetime exposure is one reason so many younger folks died in the 1918 pandemic.

Coconut water is pretty good stuff, I'm only sorry the best option for buying is to have it shipped.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast