Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noisy, creaky joints in mid-twenties page

walkingbird is offline Member

Noisy, creaky joints in mid-twenties

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi everyone,

It seems like after going paleo (with dairy) my joints became noisier. I always had those joint clicks and cracks when I work out, but today I tried doing push ups and it sounded like they were even louder. Any ideas?
    By The Ancestral Fire - insights and opinions regarding primal living.

As a friend once said, "Bacon is the Journey of food. You may pretend to hate it, but secretly you still love it."

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    How's your hydration level? If you used to drink soda and stopped but didn't replace it with anything else it could be the joints being less hydrated.

Quote Originally Posted by AndreaReina View Post
    How's your hydration level? If you used to drink soda and stopped but didn't replace it with anything else it could be the joints being less hydrated.
    I usually drink when I'm thirsty. Today started with a 16 oz cup of green tea. I drank soda maybe a few times in my life when I was a kid, not for the past ten years.

As a friend once said, "Bacon is the Journey of food. You may pretend to hate it, but secretly you still love it."

liss is offline Senior Member
    the dry wheat-infested side of washington state
    I found a relationship between eating nightshades and my joints cracking and popping. When I'm nightshade free for at least a week, the cracking stops. I miss green peppers a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by liss View Post
    I found a relationship between eating nightshades and my joints cracking and popping. When I'm nightshade free for at least a week, the cracking stops. I miss green peppers a lot.
    I haven't had those in weeks. I did eat red cabbage recently, although it's not a nightshade.

Keithallenlaw is offline Senior Member
    Soda hydrating??? You serious?

Quote Originally Posted by Keithallenlaw View Post
    Soda hydrating??? You serious?
    Soda is 90+% water and even if it has a diuretic effect (I honestly don't know) the additional water it'll cause you to piss out is less than the amount in the can. Therefore yes, drinking a can of soda results in a net positive increase in the body's water stores.

Keithallenlaw is offline Senior Member
    Soda is 90+% water and even if it has a diuretic effect (I honestly don't know) the additional water it'll cause you to piss out is less than the amount in the can. Therefore yes, drinking a can of soda results in a net positive increase in the body's water stores.
    I must have read some false information about it taking 8x12oz glasses of water to
    replace the water lost from drinking 1x12oz can of coke. So yes, I'm just babbling
    data I read. I have no proof. But I did read it more than one place how soda dehydrates
    the body. I know when I drink a can of soda on a hot day I'm much more thirstier. So it
    just seemed to stand to reason.

I've read the same stuff, but everywhere I've looked (and I just spent a good 30 minutes looking) gives absolutely no hard data so it's difficult for either of us to be conclusive. But I have known people whose primary or sole intake of fluid is soda, and a lot of it.

To the OP, I don't really know too much about improving joint function, but here's what I do know: noisy but otherwise healthy joints are usually associated with a lack of mobility and/or flexibility in the soft tissue: tendons, ligaments, fascia. This is usually related to hydration, which is the reason for my first question. Assuming it's that, and that you're taking in the same amount of water, the other question is whether there's something that's reducing absorption and/or retention. What kind of water do you drink, bottled, municipal, or well? If it's bottled, is it distilled, spring water (says "bottled at source") or purified tap water (if it's not the other two, it's probably this)? People's intake of salt usually goes down when switching to a paleo diet, and this can affect the amount of water the body retains.

Other ways to support joint function through nutrition is simply to eat connective tissue: canned salmon/sardines with bones and skin, bone broth from gelatinous bones, fish head soup, etc. Obviously not knowing the actual cause makes it difficult to suggest ways to remedy it.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Check out the nightshade free support thread: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Support-Thread

That would be the first place I'd look. I've had very similar experiences as liss--joint pain and popping etc highly linked to any nightshade intake. And nightshades encompass quite a few staple foods for many folks; tomatoes, potatoes, all peppers and chiles, eggplants and some spices and in various condiments. More details in the link.
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast