Thread: Does cooked beef have more protein per gram than raw meat? page

confused_monkey is offline Senior Member

Does cooked beef have more protein per gram than raw meat?

When I enter 454 grams of raw 85/15 ground beef on cron-o-meter it lists its protein content as 84 grams of protein and 68 grams of fat, but when I list the same 454 grams as cooked, pan-browned, the calories increase to by about 200 and protein goes up to 125 grams and fat remains the same. Why is that?? Is it just a cron-o-meter error, and if so, which one has the correct macronutrient breakdown.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    When you cook meat, it loses water, so yes, it will have more protein per gram because it's more... concentrated, if that makes sense. A pound of raw ground beef might only make 0.8 lbs of cooked ground beef (that's a guess, I've never weighed it).

But, you usually also lose some fat, because even if you aren't draining the meat some of the fat sticks to the pan and some may even splatter out, which I'm guessing is why they found the fat to stay the same rather than go up like the protein.

The weight after cooking is going to depend on how long you cook it (and therefore how much water it loses) so the most accurate thing is to weigh it before you cook it and use the raw meat entry. Though I imagine even that will vary a bit depending on how the farmer/butcher/store handled the meat along the way.
    Last edited by mayness; 01-28-2011 at 10:26 AM.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

confused_monkey is offline Senior Member
    Sounds about right. So if I am to keep a food journal, to track my macros for a while, it would be best for me to enter it as raw weight.? So if I were to weigh the ground beef and it weighed about a pound raw I would be consuming about 80-90 grams of protein. Sorry I am not much of a food tracker, but I want to begin tracking to make sure I am not doing anything wrong.

alex_the_iron is offline Member
    Measure everything raw - it's easier!

mayness is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yup, sounds like you've got it!
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.