Thread: Is my chicken stock ruined? page

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member

Is my chicken stock ruined?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Last night I put a bunch of frozen chicken bones in a stockpot, covered with water, over medium heat. Thirty (?) minute later my husband accidentally turned it off. I didn't catch it until this morning (9 hours later?). Do you think the chicken has gone bad and I should dump everything out? Or can I turn it on and let it simmer for the 8 hours I'd planned on it simmering for?

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Personally? I'd simmer away. If its gone off, you'll smell it.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Did the water ever reach a boil?

I'd be a little wary of frozen chicken bones that were left lukewarm having never boiled at all.

What kind of chicken? Mass-produced or from your local farmer?
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Soil To Sustenance is offline Senior Member
    Simmer away, but do make sure you have a decent boil for a while.

When we make stock we will often start with a carcass from a roasted chicken that we ate the night before. The carcass is left in the stock pot full of water and about 1/4 cup of vinegar all night long. We crank it up first thing the next morning.

...Tim

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Just remember, if you think it might be funky, chunk it. If the smell or color or anything else seems off...get rid of it.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I"d use it. Anther 12 hours cooking is going to kill of any bugs that might have colonized. But why would they/ lid was on, yes? I'd add juice of a lemon and a clove of garlic too.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    I"d use it. Anther 12 hours cooking is going to kill of any bugs that might have colonized. But why would they/ lid was on, yes? I'd add juice of a lemon and a clove of garlic too.
    Though that's why it's so important to know if it boiled at any point. If it didn't, then lid-on is irrelevant.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the input everyone. To be honest, I have no idea if it reached a boil since my husband turned it off (and didn't mention it. He thought he had left a burner on and didn't really pay attention). It smells fine, so I'm just going to roll with it.

slacker is offline Senior Member
    If you cook it high enough and long enough you'll kill anything bad that might be in there. The technical standards are what you see in canning instructions for those foods. For chicken, they would want the full boil to penetrate all the way through the bones and stay up there for some long period of time. I'll fish around and see if I can find something technical on it.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Not a chance in hell that I would I eat that. Food poisoning really, really stinks.