Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: absolute revelation page

denise is offline Senior Member

Smile absolute revelation

Shop Now
    Ok, I've been Primal 2 months. I don't think I have lost any weight (I don't know because when I gave up grains, sugar etc I also gave up an unhealthy relationship with the scales), I don't feel any slimmer, my workouts are remarkably similar to when I was chomping my way through a high carb low fat diet (certainly no worse - unless you count LONG runs which i have also pretty much given up - but which were noticeably harder), in many ways you may wonder what the hell the revelation was.

Well, I'll tell you. I used to have uncontrollable urges to eat sugar/carbs - I mean VAST quantities of chocolate, cakes, cereals - you name it if it was sweet and stodgy I craved it to such a point that I was literally unable to think of anything else until I ate it. I then binged on such HUGE amounts that I would literally be sick.

Here's the thing - once I cut out my "healthy" baked spuds for lunch, wholewheat pasta for tea the bran cereals for breakfast - do you know what? The sugar monster literally vanished. Instead of eating a HUGE salad with 2 potatoes, low fat cottage cheese, chutneys, hummus - so much that I felt completely stuffed - and still somehow being "hungry" (absolutely ravenous mentally if that makes sense) .... well, I now have a PB lunch of meat or fish and veg (no breakfast any more - don't need it, makes me queasy and never affects my workouts positively to have it or negatively to skip it), sometimes a snack mid afternoon (berries mainly) and a PB dinner (more meat and veg) and no (I mean NO) cravings for starches/sugars at all. I do sometimes get hungry - maybe I worked out really hard and just need more food. I have a snack, I may even add nuts. I certainly increase my fats.... I don't do anything lowfat any more!!

Can it REALLY be so simple?? All these years of suffering, done with?? I am almost superstitious and have been reluctant to believe it really could be like this permanently. I am still "tinkering" with my diet - currently doing Whole30 to see if my dairy intake (I do love cream and greek yogurt and strong cheeses) is contributing to my weight and my eczema. But overall - I am absolutely fine. IBS symptoms reduced (still kicks off when I am stressed - so does my skin), weight doesn't appear to be rocketing (I do still hope for a reduction in size though), mentally much more stable (my husband has certainly noticed that - he's lived thru the "resisting sugar" and "binged on sugar" me and its not pretty) - in other words,fine.

So, I am feeling a bit evangelical, but until I have really "cracked this" - until I have felt fine for maybe 6 months and no cravings - I am reluctant to say anything. BUT I want to yell about it - so I am, on here.

Like I say - a revelation.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    When I was a newbie, I remember alternating between the thrill of the revelation and irritation at the conventional wisdom that I'd worked so hard to live up to.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

neandertal is offline Member
    To be honest I can not give up grains and milk products I try but every few days I just need a reload.

Is honey ok btw???

I guess my prior medieval Sarmatian style diet was a little more to my liking )
    Biotivia
    Transmax
    BioForge
    BioForge Pro Max Phase II
    BioQuench

melodious is offline Senior Member
    Denise - way to go! For me, it wasn't cravings but nausea. I'd just accepted that nausea everyday was normal for me. I knew it was related to blood sugar, but couldn't see a way around it. When these little things we "accept" about ourselves as being "part of who I am/we are" go away and we realize that we didn't have to suffer all those years... it's a fabulous feeling. Even if I never get to my goal weight, the freedoms I've found here make it all worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    When I was a newbie, I remember alternating between the thrill of the revelation and irritation at the conventional wisdom that I'd worked so hard to live up to.
    Oh do I know this feeling!! I am SO angry at all the people I have believed - trusted - with my health and sanity. And they lied to me - or at the very least they didn't investigate CW enough to really give the advice they peddled. BUT, if I am honest, even more - i am furious at myself for falling for it, for fighting my body so hard, for so long. It felt BAD - how could it have been good? BUT I am a "sticker" and I stuck to it. OK, I lost 7 stone - thats 98lbs? - but I suffered, for 10 years to do it!! And I struggled mightily to just stay there - not really managing it and swinging between "stringent" diest and all out binges. And all the time, it was ME I blamed, for being weak and lazy. For not trying hard enough.

Yep, I'm MAD!

emmie is online now Senior Member
    Yes, Denise!

I found the same thing--but only when I finally gave up artificial sweeteners in addition to grains and other high carbs. I used to have a world-class sweet tooth, and I know I'd still 'enjoy' something really sweet. But I have absolutely no cravings and can watch others eat dessert with no desire myself. It's truly liberating.

I find that organic almond butter (right from the Tablespoon) provides a nice 'treat' every once in a while.

gave up all sweeteners too, all artificial ones and even honey and maple syrup. NO sweet flavours for me to tempt the sugar monster!

Liberating - thats a great word for it.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    +1 from me too, almost word for word

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    I am feeling a lot of the same things... just after 6 days. My cravings are gone and my hunger is decreasing. I have lose 3 lbs. and I don't feel bloated everytime I eat. Yes, it seems like a trick, like it couldn't be this easy. I find myself mosting feeling elated about eating this way, but for short periods of time feeling anxious about it ... guess I am detoxing from CW. I think this is because for a minute I will doubt myself and feel afraid I will go back to bingeing and not be able to control it. I am very hopeful and optimistic that I won't based on how I feel and from what I have read here... just scary when that is what you have done for 20 yrs.

Great post and discussion!!

huntergirlhayden is offline Senior Member
    I feel ya! I've been avoiding sweet things as not to set my mouth for them and then get caught in the trap. Even Almonds taste a bit sweet to me so I have to watch it. I bought some Stevia drops this evening and I'm considering having a cup of tea with some but I don't want to tempt the monster. Has anyone heard anything about Stevia, for so long I've been told it had no glycemic impact put I'm hearing some rumbles to the contrary. I could probably just google it and get whatever answer I'm hoping for, but I'd rather have the truth.
    "It is not what you are that holds you back, it is what you think you're not."
    Denis Waitley

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast