Thread: Weight loss gain muscle page

oneaye is offline Junior Member

Weight loss gain muscle

I am 65, 173 lbs. medium frame -male. I gained 13 pounds while recovering from a stress fracture created through running last September while training for a 10K. (I've run five 5K races since I started running 1/2010.) I sat on the couch for most of 3 months and did minor upper body exercises with free weights. For 3 weeks now I've kept carbs under 100, often around 60, and calories under 1500 per day. I take whey protein (140 cal, 4 carbs/per serving) about 3-4 times per day - that's included in the carb/calorie total. I don't eat a lot of meat -hence the whey supplement. I run about 4-5 miles a week and walk another 2 - I'm slowly building up running for distance again. I work out with free weights (heavy for me) usually 3X per week. So far I've gained 2 pounds. I'd like to weigh about 150. Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance, I'm really frustated.
    P.S. If anyone knows of a whey protein supplement with 0 carbs and low calorie, I'd appreciate knowing it's name.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    This isn’t the answer you’re looking for, but I think you really need to drop that protein shake powder and start eating. You don’t have to go and eat pounds of meat, but just switch to eating at least 2 good proper meals a day. Meat, fat, vegetables. Your weight will even out I can almost guarantee you that.

Ridgestrider is offline Junior Member
    Oneaye,

My first advice is keep doing part of what you are now- take it slow and donít risk re-injury, I am NOT an expert but it seems to me that if you started running in 01/10 and did five 5k races in eight months you were overdoing it..

Since you are a runner I wonít go into a discussion of chronic cardio BUT I do suggest you up your walking and cut back the running mileage till you get back in shape. The weight you gained could be lean muscle mass from the free weights so give it a little time. Donít get frustrated, keep lifting, walk more(I suggest 3-4 times a week for 15-20 minutes to start and work up to 30-45 minutes), try cycling your carbs and calories (maybe with intermittent fasting) and remember that fitness is a life time journey.

Since you have come here asking advice I suggest toy read Markís Primal Blueprint 101.
    As to the Whey protein: 140 calories and 4 grams of carbs seems low but I have to point out a 3 oz. serving of lean beef has only about 123 calories, ZERO carbs, 21 grams of protein and is a good source of vitamin C and Iron.

Ridgestrider is offline Junior Member
    I've kept carbs under 100, often around 60, and calories under 1500 per day.
    Oneaye, while I was walking today I got to thinking about your post.

How many calories are you getting? If you are eating low carb and NOT eating meat what are you eating? You may not be getting enough calories and slowing down your metabolism.

Also you said you would like to weigh 150 and have a medium frame but how tall are you?

Alex Herry is offline Junior Member
    Well your body fluctuates daily, anywhere from gaining and losing 2 pounds a day just from natural processes.

weight loss gain muscle

Oneaye is 5' " and eats about 1200-1500 cal per day. I don't eat a lot of meat, nothing against it, we eat chicken , beef chili, roast beef, the usual stuff, nothing exotic. I eat salmon or tuna for lunch and eat vegetables - broccoli, cauliflower, celery,
    Thanks for everyone who took the time to respond. Any further suggestions are welcome. I'm very frustrated.
    Oneaye

'
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridgestrider View Post
    Oneaye, while I was walking today I got to thinking about your post.

How many calories are you getting? If you are eating low carb and NOT eating meat what are you eating? You may not be getting enough calories and slowing down your metabolism.

Also you said you would like to weigh 150 and have a medium frame but how tall are you?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Should have been 5' 7", sorry.