Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help in general page

Megan.Eng is offline Member

Help in general

Shop Now
    I've been doing good. December 3rd, my weight was 226. My A1c was an 11. My average fasting blood sugars were 359. The day I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes, my blood sugars after breakfast were 488.

Needless to say, I was pretty devastated. But then my almost-hubby's uncle told me about PB. He had made the switch about a year ago, and saw only good things come from it. I've followed in his footsteps, and I wholeheartedly love PB. I feel better. I look better. I can run. I did pushups! AND sit ups!

But here lies my problem: I have a VERY limited income. I've been looking into cowpooling, I already shop at farmers markets every weekend and that's where I get most of my veggies and fruits, and future hubby's dad is a wholesale grocer, so I get a lot of fresh fruits and veggies through him (for free. which helps so much.)

I'm thinking about IF'ing it from like 8pm til 12 noon, to help with budget constraints, but I don't know what all I SHOULD be buying, and from where. What NEEDS to be organic? I've seen the dirty dozen.. I literally cannot afford fish oil capsules, so I've been trying to increase my fish consumption. I see lots of things on the forum and I'm like *drool,* but I don't know what things are most important to add/change/remove from my diet.

I've cut 99.9% of my grains, lots of veggies, I trim the fat off of regular meat, I still use dairy but I have literally no problems with it. I'm just stuck. I do lots of moving, some lifting, pushing, pulling, and lots of playing, so I don't think that's so much of an issue. But my sugars are stuck in the 120's. I'm down to 211 in roughly six weeks, but I want to go down more to see if that helps with my sugars.

My doctor wants me to get more blood work done in a month. If I can't get my sugars closer to normal, she wants me to take another pill. I don't want that, because then I'm out even MORE money.

TL;DR

I need lots of cheap options. Starving college student whom already loves beef heart and tongue. What things should ABSOLUTELY been on my shopping list?

aktres is offline Senior Member
    Your shopping list: meat, poultry, fish, eggs, vegetables, healthy fats. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Go for 100% no grains (eliminate poisons). Buy ground beef, organ meats, cheap cuts like short ribs. Conventionally raised proteins are still way better than any kind of grain. You're doing great! Keep it up, and don't stress the details now. If you eliminate poisons (grains, legumes, sugar) you are 90% there. You can fine-tune later.

LessofMimi is offline Senior Member
    If you are dealing with blood sugar issues, it might be best to eliminate fruits for now. My BG couldn't tolerate them for months after starting PB. Now, I'm ok. My last A1C was 5.2.
    The rest I totally agree with aktres.

Also - remember - just because your doctor wants it, doesn't mean you have to do it. You know in time your BG will be fabulous on PB, so do what you need to do here and don't fill the scrip. You won't need it.
    Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
    http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

Yaish is offline Senior Member
    If you like sardines, you can usually find them for about .99c a can. I've even found them at .99 Cents Only stores at .50c each. You might also check the meat case for Managers Specials, I just picked up a couple of steaks for dinner tonight at half price.

Roasts are often pretty cheap since they aren't as desirable as steak cuts. If you've got a crockpot or can borrow one, it's a super easy way to cook those tougher cuts.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Don't take a pill just because your sugar is in the 120s. Add some things that can help, if you can afford them - cinnamon, turmeric, cilantro.

Beans: People here can quickly get in a fist fight about beans and I'll probably get flamed for this. While they are not perfectly primal, Mark has said various times that they are an option, especially when soaked overnight. (Throw away the soaking water and rinse.)

I think you are doing fine. Relax and enjoy primal.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Anthony is offline Junior Member
    It's been mentioned already, but eggs are a great way to go.

Megan.Eng is offline Member
    Thank you for all the responses!

I was unsure about the beans; I had read many conflicting posts, so that may be an option. I make a mean 15 bean soup, and my grandma has always soaked her beans for at least 12 hours. She's my talking recipe book. Well, used to be. She doesn't have very many primal recipes.

I already love using cinnamon, and turmeric, but the only way I used to get a lot of cinnamon would be through baking and oatmeal. I wish oatmeal was primal. :/ I didn't know cilantro had blood sugar benefits! Thanks for the knowledge share.

I've decided I'm gonna cut the fruits for a while. Just to see how much it impacts my sugars.

If there are any other tips, tricks, or cheap ideas, feel free to tell me! I won't mind a bit.

I'm not a huge sardine fan, but it only takes a week to change your tastebuds! Maybe I can grow to love them.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Coconut milk is also really good. If you go to a liquidation store or a bulk foods store, you might be able to find it in large cans for pretty cheap.

As Aktres mentioned, get organ meats. They will be your new best friends.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    First of all, good job! You have made amazing progress in such a short time. Keep on the way you're doing and I'm sure your numbers will be where you want them soon.

Make friends with brisket and pork shoulder. Crock pots and pressure cookers can turn these into tender, tasty dishes. You can frequently find crock pots for a pittance at thrift stores or garage sales. Look for sales and stock up. Freeze what you can't use right now. As for fish capsules, eating fish is great. You can also get the oil cheaper in a bottle if you're brave enough to take it by the spoonful.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Megan.Eng View Post

I already love using cinnamon, and turmeric, but the only way I used to get a lot of cinnamon would be through baking and oatmeal. I wish oatmeal was primal. :/ I didn't know cilantro had blood sugar benefits! Thanks for the knowledge share.
    I put cinnamon in my coffee.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast