Thread: Casein blocks antioxidants? Can anyone confirm this? page

CaptureThatFlag! is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Casein blocks antioxidants? Can anyone confirm this?

Primal Fuel
    So I recently stumbled onto a bunch of studies regarding the affect casein has on antioxidants (as far as I could determine whey wasn't included in this). Apparently if consumed around the same time casein blocks the bio-availability of the antioxidants. Many of the studies revolved around the mixture of milk and tea, and whether or not it affects the subsequent levels of antioxidant good stuff in the blood stream. While results were mixed from study to study, most seem to lean towards the milk having a negative effect. Most worrisome to me was one study in particular, which examined the mixing of blueberries with milk, that unfortunately came up with the same negative finding. In other words blueberries and yogurt may not be a good combination after all. Currently my favorite desert is plain greek yogurt mixed with chocolate whey protein powder and a dusting of cocoa, but now it seems the yogurt is stealing the benefit from the chocolate which has me quite bummed.

Does anyone know anything about this? A google search of "antioxidant milk" will yield many of the studies I was talking about.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Just skimmed a few articles, here's what I got:

"When blueberries and milk were ingested together, there was no increase in plasma antioxidant capacity. There was a reduction in the peak plasma concentrations of caffeic and ferulic acids as well as the overall absorption of caffeic acid."

No increase, they didn't say anything about a decrease either. Reduction in peak plasma concentrations of caffeic and ferulic acids, lower overall absorption of only caffeic acid. Caesin coagulates (gels) in the digestive tract, so it'll slow down the nutrient absorption and this explains the lower peak concentrations. Ferulic acid apparently got fully absorbed, just more slowly. Caffeic acid apparently got held back a little.

The article didn't mention how much of a reduction was seen, which is a pity. They'll cite a reduction even if it's a 10% relative reduction, which is tiny. Honestly I think it's probably not worth worrying over. Eat your chocolate whey yogurt, enjoy it, and know that even if you're seeing no benefit from the chocolate (unlikely given the data above) you're still a hundred yards ahead by eating Primally.

Keithallenlaw is offline Senior Member
    I also read some controversy about anti-oxidants. It was saying how cancer was not able to survive
    in an oxygen environment, so why take that away with 'anti' oxidants? So, is to many bad for us?

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

Oil Rig is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithallenlaw View Post
    I also read some controversy about anti-oxidants. It was saying how cancer was not able to survive
    in an oxygen environment, so why take that away with 'anti' oxidants? So, is to many bad for us?
    You sir, have much to learn about what oxidation and reduction is in terms of gaining and losing oxygen.

Zach is offline Banned
    "‘For as long as I have been focused on the curing of cancer, well-intentioned individuals have been consuming antioxidative nutritional supplements as cancer preventatives, if not actual therapies,’ he said.
    ‘In light of recent data strongly hinting that much of late-stage cancer’s untreatability may arise from its possession of too many antioxidants, the time has come to seriously ask whether antioxidant use much more likely causes than prevents cancer.’ ". - James Watson

"Professor Nic Jones, of Cancer Research UK, agreed that studies showed antioxidants were ineffective for cancer prevention in healthy people and can even slightly increase the risk of the disease."