Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electrolytes and Gatorade :( page

dmc
    dmc is offline Senior Member

Electrolytes and Gatorade :(

Primal Fuel
    I've been doing whole 30 for three weeks now--no grains, dairy, sugar or alcohol--and now I get this curveball. I'm doing a second round of fertility meds. The doctor upped my dosage because before it didn't work very well. Not sure if it is the accupuncture, the PB or the nature of these things, but now it has worked and only too well--I'm in ovarian hyperstimulation. It is moderate and controllable, but one of the things they want me to do is drink at least a liter (ideally a liter and a half) of gatorade for the electrolytes.

I know this condition is serious and I don't want to mess around, but is there another way to get electrolytes besides these drinks? I don't want the sugar and they taste nasty to me!

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Electrolyte is a "medical/scientific" term for salts, specifically ions. The term electrolyte means that this ion is electrically-charged and moves to either a negative (cathode) or positive (anode) electrode:

ions that move to the cathode (cations) are positively charged
    ions that move to the anode (anions) are negatively charged

For example, your body fluids -- blood, plasma, interstitial fluid (fluid between cells) -- are like seawater and have a high concentration of sodium
    chloride (table salt, or NaCl). The electrolytes in sodium chloride are:

sodium ion (Na+) - cation
    chloride ion (Cl-) - anion

As for your body, the major electrolytes are as follows:
    sodium (Na+)
    potassium (K+)
    chloride (Cl-)
    calcium (Ca2+)
    magnesium (Mg2+)
    bicarbonate (HCO3-)
    phosphate (PO42-)
    sulfate (SO42-)

dmc
    Thanks, Kenn, that's helpful. So would you say that drinking a liter of water with sea salt would do the same thing?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Last summer I came down with really bad sunstroke and was wickedly dehydrated. I drank a lot of coconut water during the recovery and it helped so much. It was all mangoes, coconut water and I even sucked on large grains of sea salt for about 2 days- lol.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    Thanks, Kenn, that's helpful. So would you say that drinking a liter of water with sea salt would do the same thing?
    No.

http://www.iherb.com/Alacer-ElectroM...ket/17246?at=0

K

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    no

Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    what she said

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    might consider "smart water" which is -- supposedly -- water plus electrolytes.

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    coconut water is a good choice until the stuff from iherb comes (it usually gets to me in 2-3 days).

I drink it when I've been sweating a lot.

dmc
    Thanks for the suggestions! The doctor had me so scared yesterday (and my screaming belly didn't help matters. I thought I was going to fall over and I have a horribly high threshold for pain as a former dancer) so I've already consumed some gatorade in the last 24 hours. But Cillakat, I ordered some of the alacer and in the meantime will drink coconut water. Hopefully, not information I'll need to know in the future!~

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    There are a few sugarless (and artificial sweetener) free electrolyte powders out there too. I don't have any names off the top of my head but I bet you could google some up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast