Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: erythritol, sugar alcohol, carbs, and insulin page 4

Fixed Gear Guest

Primal Fuel

I totally disagree that "all sweeteners raise insulin." Says who?! Diet soda is my last vice, I drink a QUART of it a day. Other than that I'm fully primal. I don't even eat cheese. I've dropped 38 pounds in 6 months. If the sweetener in my diet coke was spiking my insulin, NO WAY I'd be able to lose that amount of weight. Furthermore, since going primal, I KNOW what an insulin spike feels like, I know the ensuing hunger that follows. Any time I allow a cheat meal of something high carb my insulin DOES spike and my appetite is voracious for 2 days afterward. Nothing even remotely like that happens from my giant 32 ounce diet coke. I'm not saying diet soda is healthy, it's loaded with chemicals and I plan on removing it from my life at some point. But saying it spikes insulin is ABSOLUTELY FALSE.

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member

@serialsinner
    [quote]

By necessary evil you mean the inevitable need of dietary glucose or our dependence on glucose as an essential metabolite? </blockquote>

Both are true. As far as glycation is concerned whether you get the glucose from protein or carbs it doesn&#39;t matter.

The only problem with carbs is that it stops fat metabolism during the time it is being digested. But that is not a big problem, except for the diabetic.

People here consider it to be a big problem, but when you look at the big picture you will find that its not that big a concern.

To lose fat you need to control your insulin. But not otherwise. You do need to avoid other bad things like grains, milk, alcohol, coffee, etc.

@fixedgear

I agree with you that artificial sweeteners do not raise insulin. Even fructose barely raises it. But they are most probably dangerous to us.

Tarlach is offline Member

Artificial sweeteners linked to weight gain:

http://www.fitnessspotlight.com/2008...o-weight-gain/

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Well Tarlach, I have two opposing statements for that:

1. They tend to increase your caloric intake? Bring it on! If I eat more or less fat & meat on Primal, I STILL lose weight and/ or at least maintain. For me, personally, more or less calories isn&#39;t the &#39;devil&#39; in my dietary details.

2. Agreeing with FixedGear on the fact that I also know what a spike feels like. Sometimes I get a sore throat, but mostly, the belly bloats, the head aches, my energy crashes...

Not that I disagree with artificial sweeteners being bad for you, nor that they could cause weight gain, but from personal experience, Stevia in my coffee or some Xylitol in my waffles do not seem to affect me like normal table sugar used to.

klcarbaugh Guest

Anand, we both know that fructose is horrible, and I assume we both are educated on why. However, you cannot put stevia (or unabsorbed erythritol, even splenda, etc.) or in the same category becasue it isn&#39;t even a carbohydrate. If it isn&#39;t metabolized than it cannot cause glycation (the same as oxidation except substitute the word glucose. When

you glycate something you combine it with glucose. Carbs bind to with anything really; its a very sticky molecule. Messes up the shapes of proteins, creates AGE&#39;s etc... I am sure you know this). So, why lump artificial sweeteners into the "free to cause glycation" category alongside the legit. evil fructose?

meatman is offline Junior Member

@klcarbaugh

The fructose story is not quite as evil in the context of a paleo/primal diet. Quite plainly, no NATURAL food contains enough fructose to even meet the conditions that experiment was conducted under. (i.e. a high sugar diet with 60% fructose, 40% glucose).

It&#39;s bad, no doubt, just not something to worry about.

Also, Sugar alcohols do get metabolized, but to lesser degrees than pure sugar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_alcohol

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member

@klcarbaugh

I have not really read anything that says that artificial sweeteners do not glycate. I don&#39;t even know what they do.

I am not that much against stevia, as it has been used by healthy HG groups, so is probably safe. The artificial ones we don&#39;t have enough evidence for, to assume that they are safe.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234