Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: erythritol, sugar alcohol, carbs, and insulin page 3

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Glycation is the process of sugar binding to proteins or triglycerides without enzymatic control.

AGE is Advanced Glycation Endproducts. So yes AGE is due to glycation.

High glucose levels are a problem because of this glycation. When the level is too high, the body cannot control it well. That is one reason why I think that it is better to have a short high spike than a longer small high.

Glucose is a necessary evil. It will cause glycation and will cause us to age. But our body needs it, there is no way to get rid of that need. Other sugars are worse. Our body can control glucose quite well, fructose and a few other sugars somewhat. Others not at all.

I would think if we crave sweet things, its better to eat something that our body can control than something that it cannot. And then limit it to small portions.

SeanBissell is offline Junior Member

Anand,

Awesome posts, I totally agree with you.

It's not necessarily insulin by itself that's the problem.

If it were, then Agave would be considered "great" because it has a low Glycemic Index.

BUT!

The reason *why* it has a low Glycemic Index is because it's mainly fructose, which goes straight to your liver, causes all sorts of problems like what you mentioned with Glycation, creating AGEs, insulin resistance, leptin issues, etc.

So if you're going to use sweeteners, my opinion is that you should probably avoid sweeteners with a significant amount of fructose, and opt for Glucose instead.

Even though glucose spikes your insulin, if you're fairly healthy to begin with, a short spike in insulin is probably much better than all the havoc fructose causes under the disguise of "low insulin."

-Sean

klcarbaugh Guest

No, I agree with the higher glucose sweeteners over the fructose ones. As I said, the artificial ones are probably better than the caloric. I have used them myself... but I wouldn't touch agave unless you had a gun to my head.

I also do agree that the glycation is more of a problem than the insulin release, but you aren't "off the hook" no matter what you use.

maba is offline Senior Member

Sean, do you recommend any specific brand of glucose? I've seen corn fructose in powder form in the local co-op but am yet to find glucose. I'll be making dessert for friends in a few days and gluscose might be a better option than raw sugar/honey/ maple syrup.

klcarbaugh Guest

Anand, would carbohydrate be required for glycation? Therefore stevia and liquid sweeteners couldn't cause glycation??

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

@Arnand:
    [quote]

Glucose is a necessary evil</blockquote>

By necessary evil you mean the inevitable need of dietary glucose or our dependence on glucose as an essential metabolite?

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

SeanBissell is offline Junior Member

maba,

I don&#39;t know of any specific brands of Glucose.

You can buy it online, or just go to a local "home brew shop"

It&#39;s usually called "Corn Sugar" not corn fructose.

Here&#39;s a link to it on bodybuilding.com but it&#39;s more expensive there: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/dex.html

It&#39;s *called* dextrose, but it&#39;s really glucose.

Hope that helps

-Sean

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Pure "corn syrup" in America is glucose made by enzymatic breakdown of the corn starches. However, you won&#39;t find any on the local shelves. In the south, you might find Alaga syrup, it&#39;s mostly that but it also has some cane syrup, i.e., sucrose type sugar.

Glucose is also available at shops specializing in baking. (Talk about the Belly of the Beast!) It is available in syrup or powder. This stuff is usually European and comes from grapes.

I, too, am of the opinion that a bit of glucose here or there doesn&#39;t matter. I&#39;m using the Alaga in BBQ sauces to get that carmelizing. In the context of a bunch of greasy, meaty ribs, the GL is inconsequential.

sofiawahaj Guest

Thanks for everyone&#39;s comments. I am still wrapping my head around "glycation", but I get the general idea of what you all are saying. I just wish I could test my insulin response to different foods, even different fruits and anything. It seems it&#39;s not as easy to test for insulin as it is to test for glucose. I can go to the drug store and but a glucose meter, but that doesn&#39;t really tell you what is going on with your insulin. It&#39;s all very complicated, obviously.

paleo_piper is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

What about dates or date sugar? As I understand it, dates are mostly glucose with little fructose.

Yes, MamaSofi. I&#39;ve gone to my doctor several times to get some insulin checked because that&#39;s where my concern is, but they tell me to simply get a blood glucose meter.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast