Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling Energy Depleted after a month on PB page

mbanda385 is offline Junior Member

Feeling Energy Depleted after a month on PB

Primal Fuel
    I started eating primally on December 28, 2010. I completely let go of grains and all processed foods. I have not gone completely organic because of cost issues. I am following the Primal Fitness guide to get in shape, but this past week I have seen my energy levels drop.

I start fine in the morning, but by 2-3 PM i am just dragging. I cannot concentrate and I feel like I just want to go home and take a nap. I know many people here boast about energy levels through the roof. I don't know if I might be doing something wrong or if any of you have had any of these issues after a month. Any help would be appreciated.

dakini is offline Senior Member
    You may still be adjusting. What are you eating? Are you eating enough fats? Posting what you eat will help.

I don't necessarily keep a log, but for breakfast i usually have an omlette with different type of veggies and coffee (with minimal sugar). Around lunch time, I make sure to a plentiful of greens to whatever I eat, which usually ends up being a large chicken salad. I am also snacking on nuts (walnuts, almonds, pecans, brazilian nuts) I eat dark chocolate (70%) when a sugar craving comes, not that often. For dinner I make sure I have a large portion of meat/chicken/fish. I use to have a heavy SAD, but I thought the adjustment period was between 2-3 weeks.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    For some, the adjustment period can be up to 8 weeks. Carnitine can help your body get fatty acids into your cells more quickly and may help you adjust faster. Coconut products are helpful to provide an immediately burnable fat source and glutamine can provide energy to your brain if you feel fuzzy.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    The adjustment period is different for everybody. I’d say, despite all the nuts you’re eating, your meals look low on fat.

Any fatty meats you enjoy? How into ground beef are you?

A good plate of bacon and ground beef cures all my ills. It’s hard to think of it as healthy – I sure as hell had a tough time thinking it ever could be – but it in fact is not unhealthy (certainly can be if you eat nothing but, but I think that applies to everything)

The only fat I’m seeing is eggs and nuts. I don’t eat nuts, never got into them, so I can’t say if they’re enough of a fat boost.

Also, consider coconut oil in your cooking. Failing that, just eat some coconut oil or add it to your coffee (I prefer it in tea), might sound crazy again, but it’s actually just crazy good.

I love any type of meat so that's not a problem, I guess I will start adding more fat to my diet too see if some of these symptoms go away. Thanks on the tips about coconut products, I will give them a try.

mrs_moesy is offline Member
    I went primal on the same day you did! YAY PRIMAL BUDDIES!!

I've been eating a lot of bacon. And meat in general. And coconut shreds when I get nibbly mixed with some almonds and some dried apricots.

Lately I've been eating an avocado almost every day. I really work on getting in enough fat before I feel full. Since I stopped grains and whatnot, I get full really fast, so I make sure to eat high quality fat.

It feels really strange to let go and start eating fat, but once I did, it made a great deal of difference. I discovered I really really adore chicken skin. It was weird to get past my fat phobia, but I am really glad I did. Chicken thighs and skin are so good.

I hope more fat helps you. It has made a ton of difference for me.

@mrs_moesy

I think I need to start eating more meat and less chicken, it might be that unconsciously I still think fat is bad for me. I remember I use to think bacon was so unhealthy because I was eating plain fat. I guess I got to make a consious effort to increase my fat intake.

And congrats on going Primal!!!

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    I felt the same way when I was low carbing with much lower fat than PB. That energy has to come from somewhere. Definitely try added fat but like someone said it does take your body awhile to adjust to burning fat for energy.
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Try really getting off the sugar...don't put it in your coffee and upgrade your chocolate to 85% or so. Personally, i know that sugar really does me wrong. Other than that...definitely try adding fat.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast