Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are we specifically targeting high fat, or just not avoiding it? page

elektro is offline Member

Are we specifically targeting high fat, or just not avoiding it?

Shop Now
    Obviously we're not supposed to be avoiding fat on this diet, but are we trying to get extra fat? For instance, when I order a steak, should I trim the fat, which I usually do, or eat it? When I butter my pan to make eggs, do I put just enough so it wont stick, or do I put a lot more than needed? When I buy ground meat, should I favor the lean cut or even turkey meat, or do I just the regular kind? When I order out should I choose steak over chicken in general, or just eat what I like? If I do eat a meal that is low in fat, should I try to add something to it that contains saturated fat as well?

melodious is offline Senior Member
    I think a large part of this is satiety. If you find yourself hungry, add more. I don't seek out extra fat, but eat what I want of it. Add butter, if your food isn't keeping you full. Trim the fat if you find it gross to chew it (like I do).

elektro is offline Member
    I guess what I'm getting at, is fat a necessity of this diet and is there a min we should be getting? For instance, if I wanted to eat only lean meats and avoid red meat, would I still get the same effect from the diet?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by melodious View Post
    I think a large part of this is satiety. If you find yourself hungry, add more. I don't seek out extra fat, but eat what I want of it. Add butter, if your food isn't keeping you full. Trim the fat if you find it gross to chew it (like I do).

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i'll trim the fat on steaks and things because i also don't like chewing it. but in other areas i go by flavor and satiety.
    regarding meats, it depends on what you're getting. if it's grain fed, go for the leaner cuts because the bad stuff is in the fat. if you're eating grass fed or pastured meat (or anything else i suppose, like butter, eggs, etc.) than don't worry too much about it. in fact, the extra fat will probably make it taste better.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    First off: it’s always a personal choice. The second you said “should I eat what I like, or a steak?” always eat what you like.

When eating conventional meats, not grass fed, it’s wise to trim the fat, as this is where the toxins of the animal get stored, and also the O6 content is highest there. In grass fed animals, the fat is safer to consume, less toxins and a more appropriate o36 ratio. However, even when it comes to GF meats, if you just don’t really LIKE the taste of the fat (I don’t love it) then it’s ALWAYS okay to just not eat it. It’s YOUR MEAL so if you don’t like it, skip it.

So then, assuming you’re skipping the fat of the animal, you can add some fat in the form of butter, coconut oil or an avocado even. One of my absolute favorite meals is a big steak and a mashed avocado with a bit of salt sprinkled on top. Ever make guacamole and eaten it with bacon “chips” ?? oof, delicious and fatty as fffff.

If you ARE going to eat the fat of a properly grass fed animal it isn’t imperative for you to add fat, but I find a bit of butter with steak to taste very good.

Experiment, find what sits right with you.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by elektro View Post
    I guess what I'm getting at, is fat a necessity of this diet and is there a min we should be getting? For instance, if I wanted to eat only lean meats and avoid red meat, would I still get the same effect from the diet?
    Thanks.
    You would not feel as good. Fat makes humans feel good, don’t know how else to put it. A diet low in fat, high in protein and low in carbs can be pretty miserable. PB is not a low carb diet per se, but it tends to be much lower in carbs than other diets (especially those that include grains) so if you want to eat lean meats, I’d advice to add some coconut oil to the meat (as in, cook it in some) or add some butter to it.

If you absolutely don’t want to, think about adding fat to veggies and eating those along with your lean meats. Butter on veggies tastes very good, and once you learn, it doesn’t have to completely over power the taste of the vegetable itself.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by elektro View Post
    I guess what I'm getting at, is fat a necessity of this diet and is there a min we should be getting?
    78-80% of your caloric intake, every day, should come from fat. YES it is a necessity of this diet. NO you will not get the same results without it.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Not true for everyone, Griff. I'm getting results on less at 40-60% average, but that's still what most people would call a pretty high fat diet.

However, steaks cooked in butter kick ass, and bison steaks cooked in butter are one of the best things on earth.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    my fat intake is around 60%. i'm really happy with that, to be honest. i cook eggs in butter; i add bacon fat when i'm cooking up a very lean meat (eg, venison is lean, so by adding some bacon fat to my pan, it makes it easier to cook, less sticky, and richer in flavor); i put olive oil on my veggies (i usually eat them steamed or raw).

i'm happy with this amount. i don't necessarily slather things in fat, i don't add a lot of extra fat. i do not chew the fat (i do not even eat chicken skin, cracklings, or whatever else). but i feel that i get enough fat.

and, i am getting happy results. i think it was the grains that were doing me in, causing me trouble, honestly. inflammation, i suppose. giving that up has been great. adding in meats has been great. it's good.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Adding fat isn't essential from a nutritional perspective. However, if you don't add fat but eat the recommended amounts of protein and carbohydrate you will be hungry. My rule is I add fat so that I don't go hungry. This is especially the case as my wife doesn't share my faith in PB so tends to cook low fat. I add extra olive oil to salads or pour it over lean chicken etc. Also make sure I'm generous with the cooking fats when I cook. I also eat all the fat off my meat, but most of our local meat is pasture raised
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast