Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toothbrush: Manual or Electric? page

wilberfan is offline Senior Member

Toothbrush: Manual or Electric?

I just recently switched to an old-fashioned double-edged razor after tiring of paying $20 every whatever for those multiblade monstrosities. (I'm shaving closer and cheaper now!)

I've been using an Oral-B electric toothbrush for a couple of decades, but I'm due for a new set of brush heads.

But I'm tired of paying $20 every whatever for them!

I've read that there's no major difference between manual & electric, "...if used properly".

I don't mind paying for electric brush heads if they're going to compensate for poor manual toothbrush technique, you know?

But I don't wanna waste the bucks if I can do just as good a job Old-School-Style.

My dental-care routine is pretty thorough: I use floss, those little, tiny between-the-teeth brushes, and a Water-Pik. And sometimes my tongue-scraper and a rubber gum-massager (I gotta get in the habit of using those last two more often).

Any thoughts or strong opinions on the brush side of things?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i occasionally remember to brush my teeth, and use a manual. no fuss, no muss.

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    I wasn't the greatest with dental hygiene in my younger days (never flossed, brushed just enough that my breath didn't stink) and I paid for it with lots of fillings, which, as I've gotten older, have had to be replaced by crowns. After having 3 crowns done in a 6 week period (creative maximization of insurance benefits but a miserable series of visits!) I did a complete 180 and am now flossing regularly, brushing more frequently with better technique, and using a Sonicare brush for my "before bed" brushing. Maybe it's all hooey, but since I can't reverse the damage I've done but I figure I'll give myself every bit of help I can to avoid the pain of more drilling & filling. Since those crowns I'm at 2 years with no new dental work needed, so I'm doing something right.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    I use electric in the morning, manual in the evening. How is that for wearing a belt and suspenders? :-)
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Love the Oral-B. I think it's better for the gums than anything. BJ's has no-name brush heads cheap. Check online, I'm sure you can find them. (and the handles in a 2 pack w/ charger usually go on sale every few months) With you're routine probably not needed however.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    I use the top of the line oral b. Love it. Definitely gets my teeth *way* cleaner than a regular brush. I can totally feel the difference when I travel. I haven't found the refill heads to be any cheaper online or at 'big box' retailers like costco....or if they are, the difference is minimal.

the bacon hut is offline Senior Member
    I use an electric and it gets my teeth really clean. I can definitely tell a difference. That and there is no way I'm brushing for 2 minutes with a manual one.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Electric oral B. Much better fit for my mouth than the Sonicare. And definitely leaves my teeth feeling cleaner than a manual. Though the thing that has dramatically improved the feel of my teeth is eating primal food. For once, I'm looking forward to going to the dentist to find out my plaque score. They pitch it as a measure of how well you clean your teeth, but I now realize it's a measure of how much grain/sugar you eat. I've never had such smooth teeth 4 months since the last cleaning.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    Electric oral B. Much better fit for my mouth than the Sonicare. And definitely leaves my teeth feeling cleaner than a manual. Though the thing that has dramatically improved the feel of my teeth is eating primal food. For once, I'm looking forward to going to the dentist to find out my plaque score. They pitch it as a measure of how well you clean your teeth, but I now realize it's a measure of how much grain/sugar you eat. I've never had such smooth teeth 4 months since the last cleaning.
    This, also. As soon as I cut out sugar and simple carbs ... much happier teeth.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    my father the dentist says that the only advantage to electric (according to research he's read) is that people are more likely to USE an electric and to use it for the full amount of time. Sounds like the risk of missing brushing is minimal for you, so I'd save the money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast