Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbs Keep you slim! Yahoo told me so. page

MadBiker is offline Junior Member

Carbs Keep you slim! Yahoo told me so.

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/healt...eight-2442968/

oh brother...on my yahoo homepage this morning. Might be an old story; I know it's old news to most of us here.

RANT: My inner cynic informs me that this is nothing more than a ploy to reinforce the dietary habits of the masses so they favor commodity agriculture products likes grains. The entire USDA food pyramid is built to support it. If people turn away from grains, especially corn, and Con-Agra, etc., go down, who on earth will congress-critters depend on to give them money to get re-elected so they can keep feeding money into the cycle they've built around themselves?

/end rant

Sorry. I'm all for a free market, I really am, but markets are anything but free when we have a political system tied into business so intimately. Abolishing laissez-faire was perhaps more damaging to markets than the problems it was trying to correct.

Herbwifemama is offline Senior Member
    I just saw this too! *Sigh*. Goes against my personal experience entirely. Carbs made me HUNGRY, and I ate more.

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member
    Wow! The first thing I thought when I saw this was to come and post it here but it's already the topic of three separate posts!

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbwifemama View Post
    I just saw this too! *Sigh*. Goes against my personal experience entirely. Carbs made me HUNGRY, and I ate more.
    This is the God's honest truth for me too. It is what brought me to low carb in the first place - I was keeping a food journal as part of my weight loss project, and noticed that on a reduced calorie diet, I was far more satisfied by fat than carbs - even the resistant starch this article was touting:
    350 calories of homemade oatmeal with soy milk for breakfast = hungry by 10:30 am
    350 calories of eggs, butter, veggies, and cheese for breakfast = not hungry until 1 or 2 pm
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Phaedrus is offline Senior Member
    Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of state and corporate power.

-Benito Mussolini
    Brad

late onset type1 diabetic 4-27-10 @ age 30

ilikesubtitles is offline Senior Member
    So bullshit, so misleading...most people on a SAD diet don't eat very much resistant starch. They eat a lot of starchy crap with very LITTLE resistant starch. The best sources are beans (and some other legumes), NOT grains.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I saw that this morning on Yahoo as well. You gotta love CW and the USDA.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Sally is offline Member
    the problem I have is that it was almost impossible NOT to see this article, such was the placement of the article. Blah.
    ***if you fall down seven times, get up eight.***

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    Awful awful awful! "Carbs keep you satisfied" -- yeah, that's why when I eat a bowl of "healthy" steel cut oatmeal for breakfast, I'm starving an hour later. When I eat a couple of scrambled eggs and/or a couple of stips of bacon for breakfast, I'm full for hours and hours.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Read the article and you realize they're talking about resistant starch, not carbs. Another name for that might be ... (drumroll please) ... fiber! Gee, I wonder why eating lots of indigestible matter will make you drop your caloric intake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast