Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fight with family about going Primal page

traintolive is offline Senior Member

Fight with family about going Primal

Hey!

My family always gets mad at me, for eating so many eggs. Well I eat about 3-5 eggs a day maybe.
    Not every day, but maybe 5 or 6 times a week.
    Their main concern is, that they say it is unhealthy to eat too many eggs.
    I don't think it is. I think that's all bull.
    What do ya'll think and do you have any scientific/biological (proven) arguments against what they say?

lolov is offline Senior Member
    You can't refute such a general argument. WHY do they think it's so bad? Cholesterol? Fat? Find out what their issue is and then refute that with science!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i have the same problem with my family. even after i explain the science to them, they just glaze over and keep fighting with me. right or wrong, they've got decades of thought behind them that you're unlikely going to break down. what i've started doing is help them start to change their opinions slowly. if eggs are their rub, find a few articles that explain why eggs aren't so bad, then follow up with articles on why eggs are good.

psychologically, humans can look at scientific proof and not believe it if it goes against what they know/feel/think to be true...i can't remember the name, but it's some kind of bias. changing someone's mind overnight is pretty difficult unless they are really open minded...just chip away bit by bit.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    This is an article about the 88 year old man who ate 25 eggs a day every day for more than 15 years and had normal cholesterol:
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...9/ai_10673558/

Margaret Flynn, a clinical dietician at the University of Missouri in Columbia, says the man's healthy cholesterol level is not surprising. "All of the studies we have done showed no effect [on blood cholesterol] of high egg consumption in a normal diet," she told SCIENCE NEWS
    Last edited by Adrianag; 01-27-2011 at 06:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lolov View Post
    You can't refute such a general argument. WHY do they think it's so bad? Cholesterol? Fat? Find out what their issue is and then refute that with science!
    Guess my Dad's just pissed off and wants to fight and then he tells me that and says it's been proven by doctors scientifically and stuff.
    If I try to tell him, he comes with the age thing.. you're bla bla bla years old, how do you think you can tell me, I'm half a century old bla bla bla

Quote Originally Posted by Adrianag View Post
    This is an article about the 88 year old man who ate 25 eggs a day every day for more than 15 years and had normal cholesterol:
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...9/ai_10673558/

Thanks, guess I'll print that out

Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    i have the same problem with my family. even after i explain the science to them, they just glaze over and keep fighting with me. right or wrong, they've got decades of thought behind them that you're unlikely going to break down. what i've started doing is help them start to change their opinions slowly. if eggs are their rub, find a few articles that explain why eggs aren't so bad, then follow up with articles on why eggs are good.

psychologically, humans can look at scientific proof and not believe it if it goes against what they know/feel/think to be true...i can't remember the name, but it's some kind of bias. changing someone's mind overnight is pretty difficult unless they are really open minded...just chip away bit by bit.
    I mean it might not be proven that eggs are good, it might not be proven that they are bad. I don't really care, I just like them and feel good eating them. But you're right.
    The whole stuff Mark tells in his book and on his websites are not proven either. He's not a doctor or scientist. But I was just convinced of most of it, due to the big community and success of it.

janie is offline Senior Member
    I'm a 65 y.o. woman who is outstandingly healthy and eats eggs every day. I'm assuming I'm older than your Dad. So I guess he will believe me becauce -- after all -- I have more experience than he!

Quote Originally Posted by janie View Post
    I'm a 65 y.o. woman who is outstandingly healthy and eats eggs every day. I'm assuming I'm older than your Dad. So I guess he will believe me becauce -- after all -- I have more experience than he!
    That's about what he said.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Have a side of bacon with the eggs.

Or, make a half dozen to a dozen eggs and cook them for everyone!

Omlettes. You need a lot of eggs to make a decent omlette

One of the Primal Rules is No Stress. Don't sweat it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast